Replacement for above ground filter and valve switch

Young707

Jul 9, 2020
West Coast
few years ago, we build 1000 gallon Fitmax above ground ipool using the 19 inch sand filter from Amazon, seller XtremePowerUSA and 2HP pump. Last year, the filter switch valve intake connection cracked and broke. Order 7-Way Valve Switch direct from XtremePowerUSA directly, got the incorcct part and never able to get it working again. Wait and wait for months and months, no stock available.

Thinking to replace with 16 inch sand filter and valve switch from different supplier. Whom do you recommend?

Did you mean a 10K gal pool? Otherwise the 2HP pump seems pretty extreme.

Good pool equipment suppliers are Hayward, Pentair and Jandy. There are other budget brands that you could look into like Waterway, Intex etc.
If you indeed have a 10k gal pool I would suggest a filter bigger than 16" otherwise you might end up running the pump a lot to get the water clean. Also make sure your filter can handle the GPM (gallons per minute) your pretty strong pump puts through it.

Why not? Please elaborate, tired of removing 100lbs of sand from the filter, time and time again.
Does the filter balls perform resonable filtering? Can the filter balls easy to clean & wash? We can see the up side, but what is the down side?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry I was not aware what a Fitmax pool was. So for that pool you'd probably get away with a 16" filter but still make sure to get one with good laterals.

The whole reason this forum exists is so people don't have to use magic potions from the pool store. Those filter balls are basically that. You are going to put something in you water cycle that you have no clue what it does and what it contains. With sand you do. Hence the recommendation to always use normal filter sand. Usually you put it in and you don't ever have to take it out just backwash and deep clean. If you are tired of sand (I was too) you could just switch to a small cartridge filter. They are lightweight and not that much more work. The brands I listed also offer them.

Why not? Please elaborate, tired of removing 100lbs of sand from the filter, time and time again.
Does the filter balls perform resonable filtering? Can the filter balls easy to clean & wash? We can see the up side, but what is the down side?
Thank you.

Why are you removing sand from your filter, over and over again? The only time you need to do that is if you have broken laterals or center pipe, and if that is happening frequently, we should talk through what is causing that.

Every time we replace and moved the hoses and connectors to the 7 way valve switch, we end up having to remove the sand inside the filter. So that we can reseat the center core pipe to the bottom of sand filter housing. We are having to wait for over a year to replace the XtremePowerUSA correct 7 way valve switch. Still waiting. We probably end up getting different sand filter from different supplier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.