Replacement Actuator (Pentair vs. Tork) - Quality Difference?

Feb 26, 2017
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello,

I need to replace a Pentair actuator that appears to have gone bad, as the value clicks and struggles to fully rotate when automation engages to switch pulling from the pool/spa (same when I use the manual switches). I don't think this is so looking for a replacement, I've come across a Pentair replacement (part no. 263045) and one Tork. The Pentair is twice the price of the Tork brand. I'm all for saving a bit up front, but not if it means taking a significant hit in quality and having to replace it again in short order. I suspect they may all come from the same factory in China and thus are essentially the same in terms of quality, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Tork actuators that can chime in as to their build quality.

Tim,

I don't recall many good, or bad, reports about the Tork brand actuators.. I doubt there is any difference in their operating lifespan.

I do suggest that you remove the actuator and confirm that the valve itself is easy to move, before blaming the actuator. Just to make sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tim,

I don't recall many good, or bad, reports about the Tork brand actuators.. I doubt there is any difference in their operating lifespan.

I do suggest that you remove the actuator and confirm that the valve itself is easy to move, before blaming the actuator. Just to make sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Spent some time searching and looks like there may be other common failure points for the actuators in general. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have two and have not noticed any differences on the insides. Same AC motor, same type of switches. Electrically, only two things can go wrong with this type of valve actuators, the motor fails or one of the limit switches fail.
Mechanically, I was impressed with the three o-rings for the shaft and a large rubber gasket around the entire raised perimeter of the cover.
IMG_8568.jpeg

I have two and have not noticed any differences on the insides. Same AC motor, same type of switches. Electrically, only two things can go wrong with this type of valve actuators, the motor fails or one of the limit switches fail.
Mechanically, I was impressed with the three o-rings for the shaft and a large rubber gasket around the entire raised perimeter of the cover.
View attachment 533599
Thank you!

Ordered and received the same one. Now to find a day to get it swapped out. From the looks of it, I'll spend more time replacing zip ties for cable management than swapping out the actuators.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.