Replace Two-Speed Motor - HELP

Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I need to change bearings or replace my main pump motor - it's 5.5 years old and getting quite noisy. I can't seem to find a 1:1 replacement on Amazon, etc. so was hoping for some feedback here. I can change it myself, but need to know where to get one ordered from. TIA!

Century/AO Smith 2-speed
Frame 56Y
Part 0-196159-06
230V
Amps 11.0/4.0

Tried posting pics here but mobile won't let me???

Bish,

Go to https://www.centuryelectricmotor.com. Here you can find the model number if you can't find it on the name plate (it should be on the plate). Get the same model number and exactly the same frame number. Minor differences in the frame size usually are for different bolt patterns and will not fit.

Also, you may just be able to change the motor bearings at MUCH cheaper cost ~$20 for the bearing. These motors usually last 10 years if the bearing is replaced. There are lots of videos online that show how to do it. The biggest difficulty is removing the 4 long bolts that that hold the face plate on. They are steel and the housing is magnesium or aluminum so they often are corroded and twist off. There is a fix for this but it gets way beyond simple. You have to remove the bolts to get to the bearing. If it were me I'd try. If the bolts are not frozen bearing replace is easy. If the bolts twist off you can just discard it and buy a new motor. Regardless if you go the bearing route or the new motor route definitely replace the pump seal. This is very likely what caused the problem if you weren't flooded recently.

I hope this helps.

Chris

PS You can delay the onset of frozen bolts by removing them and apply anti-seize such as Permatex or a product called Tef Gel that's available from boating stores.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.