Replace pump or ?

KarenT

Jul 20, 2014
Hagerstown MD
I have an Intex AGP with sand filter and SF70110 (Intex) pump. The filter and pump are either 2 or 3 years old (can't find receipt at the moment). The pump is normally plugged into a heavy duty extension cord (probably a no-no but the only way I can do it) to an outlet on my porch. The pump power cord has a test and reset button on it. Normally if it's been unplugged for any reason, like mowing the grass, when you plug it back to the ext cord you have to hit the reset and then everything is good, pump starts right up.

I've had NO problems with the pump since I've had it, although the sand filter this year has been spitting sand back into the pool. I got a canister attachment for vacuuming and added a skimmer sock to it to prevent any sand from being sucked into the pump when I vacuum that up (also spruce needles, the bane of my existence from a stupid tree too close) However, it's possible some sand and/or needles have entered the pump somehow.

Anyway, one day the pump was fine and the next day it just won't start at all. No noise, and the test light and reset buttons on the cord are not working. I checked the ext cord and the outlet with another device and it's not that.

Before I shell out for a new pump, is there anything relatively simple I could try? I have replaced power cords on things like vacuum cleaners, not sure if it'd be the same on this, or is worth trying?

What's typical life span of this type of pump?

Three years is about the most I ever got out of one. I ended up buying a heavier duty no-name Chinese made pump/filter the last time. It looked just like a Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.