Replace or Repair Hayward S244S Sand Filter

kjkurtz

Aug 17, 2021
Saint Paul, MN
I just had the bottom elbow assembly fail for me on my really old Hayward S244S sand filter. I was able to find the parts online that I *think* will fix it, but it'll be in the neighborhood of $250 by the time I get the replacement parts + replace the laterals while I have the sand out (plus the cost of sand). Anyway, this gets me to thinking, is there any advantage of replacing the whole thing instead? Looks like a similar brand new one can be had for around $600. What do you usually see for a lifespan of a filter like this?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 8
Welcome! :wave: I was tossing some figures into my calculator. If you were to replace both upper & lower elbows along with associated bulkhead nut/seals, I'm coming up with about $360 or so. If you elect to replace the lateral folder assembly as well, you can add another $125. That brings you up close to $500 for everything. To be fair, you may not need to replace both elbows, or even the lateral/folding assembly, so you might get the filter operational for under $200. Age could also be a factor. Very old filter vessels can crack, so that may be another consideration. Really depends on what you feel like spending and how old the filter is.

Thanks so much for the reply @Texas Splash! Agreed, I'll probably end up at at minimum of 50% of the cost of a new similar model just to get it operational again. Seems smart to replace the laterals while I have it empty of sand. Curious, I see lots of opinions on this site about what way to go with a filter. Given I have a roughly 30k gallon pool with a 3HP VS pump, I'd need either a big (probably 4?) cartridge filter or a DE filter that takes a bit more maintenance. I see you have a cartridge filter? How do you like it? The only real downside to sand is it doesn't filter the smaller particles which hasn't seemed to be an issue in the 2 years I've owned the pool.

As far as a new sand filter, it appears not much has changed and they sell effectively the same model still just with the valve on top now for $599. I'm leaning towards just repairing since the shell seems like it's fine. A Minnesota winter doesn't care if it's new or old, so I always assume spring could bring a surprise no matter what I do as preventative. 🙈

I see you have a cartridge filter? How do you like it?
I am very pleased with my cart filter. Mine is a single cart that came with the pool. In your case, you would want a 4-cart for sure. But with good water chemistry you should only have to clean them once or twice a year. If you ever do swap to cartridge, you might consider adding a new port/valve between the pump outlet and filter so you can retain the ability to vacuum to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.