Replace LED Lights with 12V incandescent? (Jandy Watercolors)

Jun 14, 2013
Austin, TX
My pool (4 years old) has Jandy Watercolor LED lights: 2 pool and one spa lights, all 12V. I hardly ever use the lights, but do need them occasionally. One pool light went out after about 2 years and the other went out this week when I turned it on. The spa light still works.

As has been commented frequently, the LED pool lights don't seem viable, especially for the cost. I maybe used them a dozen times. I confirmed with Jandy that there haven't been any design changes in the interim, since 2013 - so there's no expectation that I would have any better durability going forward.

I am considering replacing the Watercolors with the Jandy white incandescent 12V lights, which are less than $200 and the bulbs are $65. They come in 100W and 300W bulb versions. Am I correct that these lights should be a simple plug and play? (Both are 12V) Also, I think the 100W is probably closest to the LED?

Any feedback/experience would be greatly appreciated!

I just replaced the bulbs in my light with an LED bulb. The regular bulb lasted about 2 years which is the same as yours. I replaced the bulb and the gasket. I really like the blue tint to the white LED light. I don't know if you have the skills but in my case I saved a lot of money and will save more on electricity. My second light was shot so I bought an entire light fixture incandescent and another LED bulb which I will install myself. I use my lights a lot they are pretty and with LED they don't use much power. I switched all my lights to 120V from 12 so I could get rid of the transformers. I am putting them on a GFI circuit breaker for safety although I suspect there is one built in the fixture. Surely they have some protection but I will add the breaker anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

For further clarification, the Jandy LED lights use what they call a 'light engine', not LED bulbs. The light engine is $650 to purchase as a replacement part. Considering that one of mine went out after around two years and the other in four years, I'm looking at other solutions now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.