Replace Jandy Spa Side Switch with different brand switch?

NickW

Jan 5, 2022
Florida
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Purchased a home with a pool last month. This is my first experience with a pool. The spa jets started randomly coming on and off. After some reading online, I troubleshot the system andI determined that my Jandy spa side switch (part number 7441) was bad, which is what has been causing my “ghosting” issue. Great!

I was searching around for a replacement switch and a lot of places were saying out of stock. Also the price for this little guy is outrageous, but that’s another story. I came across one website that mentioned the following:

Jandy Pool Products can not longer be sold on the internet.

If you see it online, Jandy/Zodiac WILL NOT warranty the product.

They have done this for a variety of absurd reasons, including to raise the prices for you, the consumer.

We recommend replacing your Jandy Pro Series equipment with Hayward,Waterco, Aquacal and Raypak products.”

Has anyone replaced their Jandy spa side switch with a different brand/switch? I can handle the wiring side of things, I just want to see if anyone has already found the best replacement for the Jandy switch with something that fits in the same pipe and is hopefully more reasonably priced.

Thanks

Jandy doesn’t support internet sales so you can’t click to buy an item, you have to call a pool store to make the order.

The spa side remote talks to the RS control board via Jandy’s proprietary RS-485 interface commands so you can’t easily replace it with another vendors product.

I bought and self installed my RS system about a year ago and while Jandy likely won’t support the warranty, for the money I saved (at least 50%) I could buy everything over again and still be money ahead.

I bought my stuff from TCPoolEquipment.com but I had to call them on the phone to order and get pricing. I have no relationship with them other than being a customer. You may want to call them and see if they can get you a replacement spa side remote.

Another option is to purchase the iq30-RS upgrade kit. This includes a RS8 - Pool/spa upgrade board and the iAqualink 3.0 wireless transceiver. This Kit is probably about the same price as the spa side remote on its own. With the upgrade in place you control your system with your phone or tablet using the iAquaLink app.

I don’t have any dedicated Jandy control devices on my system, I just use the phone or tablet. For a pool/spa side remote I bought a cheap Amazon Fire tablet for $50 dollars and loaded the iAqualink app on it.

You can check the pricing on both options and see what makes sense. You can also call a Jandy dealer and they will quote you the whole thing including installation but you will pay at least twice as much for the warranty that you will get.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickW
Jandy doesn’t support internet sales so you can’t click to buy an item, you have to call a pool store to make the order.

The spa side remote talks to the RS control board via Jandy’s proprietary RS-485 interface commands so you can’t easily replace it with another vendors product.

I bought and self installed my RS system about a year ago and while Jandy likely won’t support the warranty, for the money I saved (at least 50%) I could buy everything over again and still be money ahead.

I bought my stuff from TCPoolEquipment.com but I had to call them on the phone to order and get pricing. I have no relationship with them other than being a customer. You may want to call them and see if they can get you a replacement spa side remote.

Another option is to purchase the iq30-RS upgrade kit. This includes a RS8 - Pool/spa upgrade board and the iAqualink 3.0 wireless transceiver. This Kit is probably about the same price as the spa side remote on its own. With the upgrade in place you control your system with your phone or tablet using the iAquaLink app.

I don’t have any dedicated Jandy control devices on my system, I just use the phone or tablet. For a pool/spa side remote I bought a cheap Amazon Fire tablet for $50 dollars and loaded the iAqualink app on it.

You can check the pricing on both options and see what makes sense. You can also call a Jandy dealer and they will quote you the whole thing including installation but you will pay at least twice as much for the warranty that you will get.

Great response, thanks for that! My current system is older, but someone has upgraded to the iaqualink 2.0, so I do have functionality via the app. I don’t necessarily need a spa side switch, but there’s already one there so it would be nice to have the option. Maybe plugging the hole and doing a cheap tablet is the best answer though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.