Replace Hayward Star Clear C3000 with CJ-150 and Pre-Filter?

LandCruiser

May 11, 2021
Norcal
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We purchased a home with a 20k gallon pool and the Hayward Star Clear C3000 filter that I assume to be original to the pool in 1995 or 1996. I ended up doing a lot of maintenance to the filter last year including sourcing a discontinued outlet fitting used, the filter base, new seals and new filters. I've probably sunk about $300 into baselining what I had because it was there.

I'm about to convert the plumbing to salt water chlorination and I have a Circupool Core55 waiting to get plumbed in (need to move the pump and filter back to make the 11" of pipe space that I need.

I figure while I'm reconfiguring plumbing, maybe it's worth replacing the antiquated filter that I've limped to semi-stable condition but who knows how long it will last?

I was also already considering adding a Pre-Filter so this combo appeals to me.

Is this enough filtration? Seems like 150sqft less than my larger filter but with the Pre-Filter and easier maintenance, it seems worth the minimal cost over just adding a Pre-Filter to what I have.

Thoughts? The one piece I couldn't replace easily on my Hayward filter or cost effectively was one of the clamp pieces that would cost me an entire clamp to source at about $150-$200 which I haven't wanted to do.

Last edited:
Well, personally I would replace the smaller filter with the largest cartridge filter and skip the pre-filter. If you go up to 420 or 520 you may only have to clean the filter once a year. Much easier to plumb one large filter rather than two items using a smaller filter.
What sort of debris do you get in your pool?

Maddie 🇮🇹

A 150 square foot cartridge filter is going to need cleaning quite frequently, even with a pre-filter, given you have a 20,000 gallon pool.
You would be better served with a Pentair CCP420 (420 sq ft) or CCP520 (520 sq ft) cartridge filter or something similar size.

The usefulness of a pre-filter is debatable. Personally, I'd use disposable hair nets on the skimmer baskets instead (around $10 for 100 hair nets).

So, I already use skimmer basket nets, it's kind of a maintenance pain though because they get clogged and need replacing constantly (I know this is the idea so you aren't cleaning the main filter but it's still a constant chore and material expense).

Do either of you have experience with the cyclonic Pre-Filter I linked? It seems very efficient and the maintenance is free and easy by simply draining a few gallons of debris water.

If I'm limiting the debris that enters my main filter, why do I need to worry so much about filtration media area? Having a much easier to maintain (no tools to open) single cartridge filter seems more ideal, even if I had to clean it twice a year which I doubt I would, I only clean my current filter once a year.

I get mostly queen palm tree debris (frauns, seeds, pods etc), other plant debris and occasionally ash from wildfires here. My Pre-Filter sock on my skimmer basket is usually a medium gray color (oxidized organics from sanitizer?).

I really wasn't interested in spending $1500 on a filter system that's probably very similar to what I have now in terms of function and maintenance pain. $700 for a single cartridge and the cyclonic Pre-Filter, half the expense, was appealing to me if it will function nearly as well as a larger filter media.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.