Replace colorlogic transformer

joseeliseu

Nov 14, 2023
Senhas123!.!
Hello everybody. I just bought a house, came with a pool with whole hayward system. Spa light never worked. It has power up to the junction box. I assume light is out. I still have to figure that model / niche out.
Now my big 10" colorlogic for the pool will turn on and go off 1s later. You can hear relay clicking. My guess is transformer, although I haven't studied it too much. My question is: can I replace it with any transformer (as long as it's got enough w to run it) or will I lose color change feature if it's not the original one used by hayward...
Also, how to figure out which model light I have before I pull it out?

Josee,

Pool light transformers are special...

The are built in such a way that the Primary side (120 Volts AC) can never short over to the Secondary side (12 Volts AC.) They are 'rated' for pool use.

You can't just use a standard off the shelf transformer. Period!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
Josee,

Pool light transformers are special...

The are built in such a way that the Primary side (120 Volts AC) can never short over to the Secondary side (12 Volts AC.) They are 'rated' for pool use.

You can't just use a standard off the shelf transformer. Period!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.
I get that part, what I mean is any pool light transformer will work... doesn't need to be hayward's brand. Right?

I get that part, what I mean is any pool light transformer will work... doesn't need to be hayward's brand. Right?

Right? No.

Hayward transformers have a snubber that keep the ColorLogic Lights from falling out of sequence with each other.

If you use a non-Hayward transformer you should install the snubber as this document shows.

Hayward Colorlogic Snubber

Attachments

• Snubbers & Lighting-1.pdf
    319.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: proavia
If you only have up to 4 lights you can use any pool/spa light transformer without a snubber. If you have more you should use a snubber. Make sure to get a transformer that can handle all the lights. I don’t know about the 10” color logic but the Hayward 320 LEDs are 25 watts a piece.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.