Repiping suction side above ground pipe - question

Jul 26, 2014
Annapolis, MD
We've decided to re-pipe the above ground portion of the suction side piping due to a suction-side leak (air in pump basket and returns - see below for more info if you want).

The pool is over 30 years old and belongs to an elderly relative. Ever since converting to TFP a couple years ago the water has been sparkly clean and easy to maintain.

I just want to run the plan by the experts here and see what comments you may have.

IMG_20170701_141406-notes.jpg

As you can see the plan is to cut and cap 2 suction lines. One is a main drain that was disabled, I believe to comply with Graeme Baker. The other is a 2nd skimmer line that has been plugged at the skimmer for the last few years because the inside of the pipe looks like cottage cheese due to years of puck usage. The water is TFP sparkly running just the one skimmer.

The pump is about 20' from the skimmer that is used. The elevation of the pump is about 18" above the skimmer.

For the suction line that is being re-piped the plan is to cut the line at the bottom of the 90 where it comes above ground. I plan to run the same sized pipe to the pump and have a union at the pump. I am not planning to add a valve in the new piping.

Do you see anything wrong with the plan or have any comments?

Do you think we should go ahead and dig down and replace the first fitting below the surface while we're at it?

FYI - regarding seeking out the suction side leak:
yes, the pool water level is high enough
yes, cleaned and lubricated pump lid gasket with silicone based lubricant (gasket is only 1 year old)
yes, cleaned and lubricated drain plug gaskets with silicone based lubricant
yes, ran water over pump basket and pipe joints in search for leak
yes, used foamy shaving cream on pump basket and pipe joints in search for leak
yes, used incense on pump basket and pipe joints in search for leak
yes, put a water hose in the line at the pump basket and saw water flowing at skimmer to check for blockage
- since these did not yield results, started wrapping joints in plastic and tape (as you can see in the pic) and this reduced the amount of air in the pump basket. So it was decided to re-pipe the above ground piping.

There was also a leak in the pump that has been repaired. Did a pump tune-up and replaced Motor Shaft Seal, Diffuser Gasket, and Housing Gasket.

Sounds like a solid plan. You could dig below the pipe they plan to keep to evaluate that joint as well but you could also do that after the planned repair, if you notice any further suction side leak issues. Not much sense digging it out until you know you've eliminated the other issue.

sm,

Sounds good to me...

Keep in mind that if you dig down and cut the pipe, you need to make sure that you are not below the water level in the pool.

I know from experience, that if you cut below the water level, you will need to buy a life vest... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the affirmations on the plan. I think we'll stick with doing the above ground for now and see if that resolves the issue before digging.

Thanks too for the tip Jim R. While I have life vests, I plan to do my best not to need them for this :)

You and your responses are appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.