REpalcement pump not as much pressure but larger HP

Mar 18, 2012
Virginia Beach VA
Good afternoon all,

15-year-old Hayward SP4010X15NS Pump and motor assemble died and it had a 1.5 HP NorthStar motor. It pushed my water through filter, up to my solar water thinning/heating panels on roof and punished water through my two shooters and we added a fountain. When using the solar water heater, the pressure was not great. I replaced the pump with a Hayward W3SP2303VSP with a 1.65HP Variable Speed. I have this unit set to run on Speed 4 at the max 3450 RPM. When I’m in recirculating only I get minimal pressure to just my two shooters. They are piped into my concrete apron and are about a 3/8” opening and I have individual valve control on each shooter and the fountain so 3 shut off valves. I have 32000 gallons and my calculation says I should have a pump with does about 65-70 GPM and this unit does 125 GPM but I cannot get the pressure like my dead one speed smaller 1.5 HP motor pushed. Hayward DE Filter as well. My solar system is no longer in service we had new roof put on 2 weeks ago and it was trashed due to brittle of 15 years in the sun.

My issue is:

Did I purchase the new pump in the wrong size?
Did I miss a configuration on the pump to get the most pressure out this unit?

Since I have my new pump mounted and running (about 25 hours so far) cannot be returned and I have a possible plan. I can rework my pluming and add a booster pump for just the two shooters and one fountain without too much trouble or cost if i cannot or decide to not sell the new slightly used one.

My other option if I purchased the wrong size pump I may consider selling used slightly used and then purchase the correct unit. I’m looking for some guidance or suggestions. This group has saved me in the past. I’m not an experienced pool person but you folks really make me feel like I can pretend to be with your knowledge. I can do the work just lack the knowledge as to the best method. I also called Hayward and they were not willing to help a DIY and pointed to the Leslie store I purchased from, and they don’t answer the phone so not happy with their service. That leaves me to post here.

Thank you.

Post pictures of your equipment pad so we can see what you are working with.

Good afternoon all,

15-year-old Hayward SP4010X15NS Pump and motor assemble died and it had a 1.5 HP NorthStar motor. It pushed my water through filter, up to my solar water thinning/heating panels on roof and punished water through my two shooters and we added a fountain. When using the solar water heater, the pressure was not great. I replaced the pump with a Hayward W3SP2303VSP with a 1.65HP Variable Speed. I have this unit set to run on Speed 4 at the max 3450 RPM. When I’m in recirculating only I get minimal pressure to just my two shooters. They are piped into my concrete apron and are about a 3/8” opening and I have individual valve control on each shooter and the fountain so 3 shut off valves. I have 32000 gallons and my calculation says I should have a pump with does about 65-70 GPM and this unit does 125 GPM but I cannot get the pressure like my dead one speed smaller 1.5 HP motor pushed. Hayward DE Filter as well. My solar system is no longer in service we had new roof put on 2 weeks ago and it was trashed due to brittle of 15 years in the sun.

My issue is:

Did I purchase the new pump in the wrong size?
Did I miss a configuration on the pump to get the most pressure out this unit?

Since I have my new pump mounted and running (about 25 hours so far) cannot be returned and I have a possible plan. I can rework my pluming and add a booster pump for just the two shooters and one fountain without too much trouble or cost if i cannot or decide to not sell the new slightly used one.

My other option if I purchased the wrong size pump I may consider selling used slightly used and then purchase the correct unit. I’m looking for some guidance or suggestions. This group has saved me in the past. I’m not an experienced pool person but you folks really make me feel like I can pretend to be with your knowledge. I can do the work just lack the knowledge as to the best method. I also called Hayward and they were not willing to help a DIY and pointed to the Leslie store I purchased from, and they don’t answer the phone so not happy with their service. That leaves me to post here.

Thank you.
As many do, you based your buying decision on horsepower, more an indication of how much energy is used that how much water is moved. When single-speed pumps were available, in the Hayward line you could get a 1hp TriStar, 1hp MaxFlo (your model), 1hp Powerflo (above-ground pump). All used about the same amount of electricity, but the TriStar, at a given head, would move considerably more water than the other two, even though all would be running at 3450rpm.

Your new pump is a 1.65 total horsepower medium-head pump. Your Northstar was likely a 1.85 total horsepower extremely high-head pump. They are completely different pumps. The TriStar is Haywards high-head model. If possible, get the 2.7THP and dial in the flow you need, you'll be happier. The 1.85THP may work for your application. Not sure what shooters are, but those, along with solar and a fountain are just too much for a medium-head pump.

The Northstar moved more water for its rated horsepower than any other pump made at the time. On several occasions I had Hayward recommend one of their other models when I was trying to determine which pump would work on a particular application.

As many do, you based your buying decision on horsepower, more an indication of how much energy is used that how much water is moved. When single-speed pumps were available, in the Hayward line you could get a 1hp TriStar, 1hp MaxFlo (your model), 1hp Powerflo (above-ground pump). All used about the same amount of electricity, but the TriStar, at a given head, would move considerably more water than the other two, even though all would be running at 3450rpm.

Your new pump is a 1.65 total horsepower medium-head pump. Your Northstar was likely a 1.85 total horsepower extremely high-head pump. They are completely different pumps. The TriStar is Haywards high-head model. If possible, get the 2.7THP and dial in the flow you need, you'll be happier. The 1.85THP may work for your application. Not sure what shooters are, but those, along with solar and a fountain are just too much for a medium-head pump.

The Northstar moved more water for its rated horsepower than any other pump made at the time. On several occasions I had Hayward recommend one of their other models when I was trying to determine which pump would work on a particular application.
I came up with this model number.

W3SP3206VSP​

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any one in need of a slightly used about 22 hours.

Hayward - W3SP2303VSP Max-Flo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1.65 THP, 230V​

Willing to make a deal. Purchased at Leslie's $1379.00 3 weeks ago been hooked up and running for about a week. I will post on marketplace in a couple days unless some reached out to make a deal.
Thank you all!