Repair or replace my 19 year old pool?

Bif_

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2015
Sellersburg, IN
Opinions please.

My pool is 19 years old but the wall is only 15. It was replaced under warranty 4 years in.

My liner is 15 years old and on its last legs. Faded badly and yellow/brownish around the perimeter. The top seats started rusting a few years ago, mostly my fault due to pool being over full in winter and the edges were submerged too long. I’ve been repainting them but tired of that fight.

As I thought about replacing the liner but tired of repainting the top seats I decided I’d have to get a new pool. Long story short $7K for a new pool turned me off. In addition, I’m about 5 years +/- from selling this house. Not excited to spend the money.

I’ve now found I can get new top seats for $500 and replace the liner for $1400. Am I being foolish to consider this option? My exterior pool wall and uprights are all rust free. I can feel some slight roughness running my hand along the liner on the inside of the pool, indicating some slight surface rust, but nothing feels horrible.

Will my $1900 investment buy me some years or should I bite the bullet and get a new pool.

Sorry so long but appreciate any ideas.

Greg

Opinions please.

My pool is 19 years old but the wall is only 15. It was replaced under warranty 4 years in.

My liner is 15 years old and on its last legs. Faded badly and yellow/brownish around the perimeter. The top seats started rusting a few years ago, mostly my fault due to pool being over full in winter and the edges were submerged too long. I’ve been repainting them but tired of that fight.

As I thought about replacing the liner but tired of repainting the top seats I decided I’d have to get a new pool. Long story short $7K for a new pool turned me off. In addition, I’m about 5 years +/- from selling this house. Not excited to spend the money.

I’ve now found I can get new top seats for $500 and replace the liner for $1400. Am I being foolish to consider this option? My exterior pool wall and uprights are all rust free. I can feel some slight roughness running my hand along the liner on the inside of the pool, indicating some slight surface rust, but nothing feels horrible.

Will my $1900 investment buy me some years or should I bite the bullet and get a new pool.

Sorry so long but appreciate any ideas.

Greg
kinda depends on how much the $1900 will get you. If it fails in one year, it’d be a bummer but if it fails in 5 years when you are trying to sell the house it’ll also be a bummer for new buyers so the property may be worth less. Or maybe you just tear it down before selling. Is there a public pool nearby that $1900 gets you access to? That might be an option if so.

A good pool doesn't help your home value. It only makes it more attractive to a buyer who wants a pool like yours. A pool that needs work, is a huge turnoff though, and most would put the 24 year old pool in that category. Nobody is going to care that the wall is only 19 years old and the liner/rails are 5 years old. They're going to hear 24 year old pool.

How quickly can you get the replacement parts and liner ? I wouldn't spend a penny on the 15/19 year old pool until I pulled out the existing liner and gave it a good inspection.

But you don't want it sitting empty for long or a wind gust could make the decision for you.

A backup plan is a comparable sized Intex style pool. By the time it's failing, you'll be looking to spruce the place up to sell it, and it will be easy to remove and get grass growing where it sat.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.