Repair contractor is saying it is good idea to put 3-4 foot concrete apron around pool 4 inches thick to go under the pavers

Sep 7, 2016
Morristown/NJ
We had some damage to the pool coping and bond beam in one area and the repair person is recommending in addition to fixing the damage and doing decoseal around the coping that we should install a 3-4 foot apron which would be 4 inches thick that would go under the pavers. He is saying this will help anchor the pool cover and keep water away from the pool. It would also keep pavers from sinking. Not sure if this is a good idea as the concrete can shift and cause pavers to move more. Let me know what is best practice.

In ground concrete pool with pavers.

Thanks

Contractors seem to like pouring concrete as their go to fix.

this will help anchor the pool cover

Have you had problems anchoring your pool cover?

and keep water away from the pool.

Where would the water go?

Will it create other drainage problems on your property?

Some NJ towns have limits on impervious lot coverage and that concrete will reduce your impervious lot %. Check if you need a permit for it and if it is within your zoning regulations.

It would also keep pavers from sinking. Not sure if this is a good idea as the concrete can shift and cause pavers to move more.

The concrete will likely make it more difficult of you ever need to dig down to your pipes for repairs.

Let me know what is best practice.

Best practice depends on local soil conditions.

What type of pavers do you have?

What are you soil condition?

Why not level the area with gravel and put the pavers on top?

After having my new paver patio installed over a slab, I'd never go back to the traditional compacted way. I spent 8.5 years watching parts of my traditional paver patio sink/waffle faster than I had the energy and time to fix them, along with some walkways. Now I have a slab tied into the pool walls with rebar and when settling occurs the slab bridges the gaps. It will eventually crack if it hasn't already but nobody will ever see it under the pavers.

They used a bobcat to drop the paver pallets around the slab, so it can easily handle that much weight. (7500 lbs for the skid steer and 2800 for the paver pallet, on average).

It's detailed over several pages towards the end of my the build thread in my signature.

The patio guy said that most of the local companies had completely abandoned the traditional methods due to the inevitable waffling of the pavers. I don't even want to know what the labor costs would be to pull up a patio to reset it these days and most need it every 10 years or less.

My are just Cambridge various sizes. Same as the coping. We do have issues anchoring the pool cover as it seems like the loop lock installer did not use anchors that went into the soil. They are only as deep as the pavers and I didn't know any better when we had it done. I am looking to get the damage repaired but at the same time was going to get the issues with the pavers moving addressed as well I m sure much of the paver issue was due to the cover pulling on them but some is also the settling and the weather. If concrete sub base is better than just the gravel then maybe it is worth the price as I plan to be here for some time. AS for impervious coverage the pavers were already considered impervious so it would not impact that .

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.