Repair bottom stitching on FNS Plus filter grid?

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
So decided to break down the filter for a complete cleaning, since I've never actually removed the grids when I clean the filter. While I was rinsing off the grids, I noticed that the bottom stitching on two of the grids appear to have come undone. No other issues, like DE going back into the pool... just wondering if it is possible to restitch these things or does it even need to be restitched.. My guess is yes... They are all in really good shape and have been in use since 2013.

So after thinking about it for a while, I chose to try out the good old Hot Glue Gun. I think this is the perfect fix, since I'm not trying to actually fix a hole. I'm merely trying to fix a stitched seam that came unstitched. Since this is a mesh material, the hot glue flows through the mesh on both edges of the panel and just bonds it together. I tried pulling it apart and had no luck, so now all I have to worry about is whether the pool chemicals affect the glue itself. So anyone with similar issues, go into your wife's craft kit and take her glue gun.

Everything is back together and working like a charm. I did notice that it might have been a defect in the manufacturing of these grids. I noticed the only grid that didn't have issues on the bottom stitching was the small grid. When I looked at it closely, the small grid had double stitching at the bottom, and was still holding tightly. All the larger grids had only one row of stitching at the bottom and all needed to be repaired. My guess is they never made a second pass with the sewing machine when they were manufactured, making that a week spot in the grid.

Any idea how long you typically get out of a set of grids? I wouldn't mind another 5 years out of these...

I have your exact same problem. the seams on my 5 year old grids are mostly “un-sewn”. I was thinking of using a hot glue gun myself !
Did it hold up over time ?
I used hot glue on the seams which got me through the summer season and through the winter. For the following season I bought a new set of aftermarket grids from Pleatco. They have held up nicely and were indecernable from the OEM grids.