Repair advice for concrete coping chip?

rdshackleford

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Coatesville, PA
The coping of my cantilever patterned concrete patio is chipping at the base of my raised beam wall water feature. Can anybody suggest a product to repair and/or seal the chip before it breaks off? Ideally, the least visible repair the better (obviously). Thank you,
-Tom
xxYlqd4.png

Me? I would get a long, skinny "nose" to squirt the epoxy into the hole then some way to push and hold that piece closer to where it should be AND let some the epoxy ooze and use a wet finger to smooth it. That will keep water from getting behind it.

You have alot going on in that area that is concerning to me.

There is a crack in the tile right below the where the deck and wall meet.

Your cantilevered deck looks like it has a proper expansion joint below the deck however I think it should also have had an expansion joint between the coping/deck and the wall as I indicated in yellow.

The expansion joint should allow the coping/deck and the pool structure to move independently. Your setup has coupled the coping/deck and the pool wall and bond beam together which is likely putting pressure on the bond beam and tile below causing the crack in red.

I would use some Type S mortar to fill the crack in the blue circle. Or maybe cement crack filler sold in tubes although I don't know how expansive it is. I would not use hydraulic cement for repair as hydraulic cement expands and will just push the crack open which is not what you want.

But that crack is radiating down, I think due to pressure in that area.

Overall I think you will see more cracking in that area due to the lack of the expansion joint.

copingc rack.png

Last edited:
Allen, the tile is not cracked, that is the design. There is 1/2" gap filled with tinted foam on all 3 sides of the water feature. I believe the chip happened because it is a very small section of concrete with a sharp turn to hide the expansion joints. The chip is the only thing I need to address.

Still looks to me like the yellow line is along concrete that ties together the deck and wall. What is the material the yellow arrow points to?

I don’t see the 1/2 inch gap with the tinted foam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have the expansion joint along the top but someone compromised the expansion joint on the side and filled it in. Youc an see where concrete was smoothed over the area and filled the expansion joint.

There should be no place where the coping/deck is touching the wall.

YnSDgnC.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.