Removing Ultra UV 2

chtippy

May 2, 2023
Austin Tx
I’m in central Texas and have had to replace 2 boost pumps and 2-3 valves in the last couple of years when we’ve had unusually cold weather. So, I didn’t trust my freeze protection this past week and decided to “winterize” my pool equipment by turning everything off and draining the pumps, filter, and heater. I didn’t know what to do with the UV sterilizer so I did nothing. Well, I restarted everything this evening and the housing was cracked. From everything I’ve read here, it sounds like I’m better off just removing it and just replacing with pvc plumbing. If I do that, can I simply cap off the electrical wires individually and then maybe just wrap with electrical tape?

It looks like it’s on the same breaker as the cleaner so I need to leave the breaker on. I’ve never messed around inside of a breaker box but maybe I should really remove the wiring completely to the UV sanitizer??

Trying to do this as cheaply and safely as possible for now without calling a pool company if possible. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

Disconnecting electrical at the breaker is safer.

Caping off live wires may not stay safe forever.

If you are not comfortable disconnecting the wires find someone who is. It does not need to be the pool company. Any handyman can do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.