Removing posts from future AGP site

SeanQ

Jun 20, 2018
Northwest Ohio
New 18x33 going in shortly where a deck and gazebo were removed last year. There are about 14 4x4 posts still in the ground cut off a few inches above ground level where the pool will go. These posts go down about 2'6" and then I hit concrete. The concrete around the bases of the posts is sizable in diameter. I have to dig down to level the site, anywhere from 2" to 2'+. I am thinking I should remove these posts and the concrete footer they are attached to but I am concerned that there will be settling over time with what I backfill in these 14 sizable holes. If this is the best way to go, what should I back fill with and how to compact it adequately? My soil is on the sandy side, no clay and here in NW Ohio, winter temps get in the single digits. The other option is to dig down slightly below the final grade and cut the post off but I am thinking there may be concerns of the post heaving in the future. Lasty, we have mole problems and the current pool has collapsed mole trails under the liner that are at least 3" deep. For the new pool in the new location, I was planning on using 1" ground rated foam board between the dirt and the liner and not using sand. Mole prevention is stepped up also.
Thanks for any input.

I would remove the posts completely. Go rent a hand tamper from your local rental and backfill about 4-6 inches at a time and tamp... or u can rent a jumping jack and tamp about 6-8 inches at a time...

Would have been better to leave the posts to length and rent a mini hoe for the day and pull, fill, pack all at the same time

I would remove the posts completely. Go rent a hand tamper from your local rental and backfill about 4-6 inches at a time and tamp... or u can rent a jumping jack and tamp about 6-8 inches at a time...

Would have been better to leave the posts to length and rent a mini hoe for the day and pull, fill, pack all at the same time

Thanks Zrock. Yea, originally the install was going to be handled by a pro and he came out last year for the quote and said it wouldn't be a problem to leave them there when the deck/gazebo was removed and he would take care of them but funds came up short.
Backfill with native soil or with #6 gravel?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.