Removing Pentair CCP Drain Plug

HVY767

Apr 24, 2023
Phoenix
I’ve been looking through posts and didn’t want to start a new one. I cleaned my filters last week but couldn’t get the drain plug off to spray the sediment out of the bottom of the filter housing. It’s on there pretty tight and I didn’t help by stripping the head of the cap. It’s in a position that doesn’t make it easy to get a good grip on the cap. Any ideas on how to get it off? I’ve bought and new cap and o-ring since I figured I’ll have to replace it after damaging the old one. It’s my understanding that it’s only supposed to be hand tightened.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 7
I’ve been looking through posts and didn’t want to start a new one. I cleaned my filters last week but couldn’t get the drain plug off to spray the sediment out of the bottom of the filter housing. It’s on there pretty tight and I didn’t help by stripping the head of the cap. It’s in a position that doesn’t make it easy to get a good grip on the cap. Any ideas on how to get it off? I’ve bought and new cap and o-ring since I figured I’ll have to replace it after damaging the old one. It’s my understanding that it’s only supposed to be hand tightened.

Try using a belt.

Reactions: HVY767
It’s my understanding that it’s only supposed to be hand tightened.
Yours is hand tight.

Unfortunately, this is the person who put it in "Hand-Tight"

NNKTO2VJ3UWW4OPGPD5ZNU6VLQ-1536x1024.jpg

My Sta-Rite filter is cousins with yours and it has This One. It should be the same size as yours but there's other sizes available if not. It's a far better design IMO. The bar of a screwdriver fits the slot and it's a makeshift T handle. Or channel locks grab the rectangle part and it opens easy peasy.

Reactions: HVY767

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can't get it off with channel locks, the last resort is to drill a hole through it, insert a screwdriver through the hole, and use that leverage to get it loose.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
If you can't get it off with channel locks, the last resort is to drill a hole through it, insert a screwdriver through the hole, and use that leverage to get it loose.
I don't think i'd do that as a last resort. I would use the shop vac method as a last resort. Putting a screw driver through it will render it useless as it is hollow. So if you do this, you better have a backup plug handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.