Fairfax, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Took a water sample to local pool store. The detected metals (mainly copper) as detailed below. They suggested I put a metal eliminator in the skimmer for 1 month (see pic). Does that actually work? Should I do it? Also, could this be because I just installed a new heater?

Also should I add anything to lower the phosphates? Last time I did, the chems gunked up my old filter and basically ruined it. Was replacing it anyway so tolerated it for the last month of the season but don’t want to go through that again.

Iron 0.1
Copper 0.4
Phosphates 1518

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 15
Only way to rid the pool water of copper is to exchange that water to fresh water without copper. The 'devices' simply do not do much.

Do you have any staining? Want to deal with that now.

Your new heater should not be the issue. Assuming you manage your pH properly. Likely past use of copper containing products.

Reactions: Sidemoves
Took some pics of areas that might be staining. Not sure if that’s just dirt or not but I tried to brush it but it doesn’t come out. Do you think that’s staining? The ones in the deep end by the drains were there when I took the cover off to open the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1975.jpeg
    IMG_1975.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 15
Have you used any such products? Did you have an old heater, and how did it fail?
Never used any products like that. And they just started appearing in the last day or two. Old heater didn’t fail. It was from 2004 and was old and rusty but I changed it out as a precaution.

Any ideas on what could be causing the stains in the pics above? And how to get rid of them?

Also noticed these white spots in the plaster. Normal?

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 7
Could it possibly be from the salt that I poured in? The locations of the stains and the size of them (rather large with a streaky appearance) be from the salt I added. They’re located by where I dumped some bags. If so how can I get rid of them?

Last edited:
Typically if from salt, the salt had iron in it. What brand of salt?
Read the Stains article I linked. If iron, you can put some vitamin C tablets in a thin sock, crush them up a bit, and wipe down the areas that are stained.

The white spots -- have you added granular solid chlorine in that area?

Typically if from salt, the salt had iron in it. What brand of salt?
Read the Stains article I linked. If iron, you can put some vitamin C tablets in a thin sock, crush them up a bit, and wipe down the areas that are stained.

The white spots -- have you added granular solid chlorine in that area?
Here is a pic of the salt I put in.

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpeg
    IMG_2013.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vitamin C crushed in a skimmer sock is working! These are large areas. Any tips on how to treat large areas?

Also does this mean I have a bunch of iron in my water now that I need to get rid of? I don’t have a recirculate option on my filter (cartridge filter so no multi valve)

Last edited:
man the iron removal process seems quite involved. Do you think I need to worry about the iron levels to the point of having to build a contraption like that to remove it? Or can I just fix the stains and move on?

Any idea how to remove the black-ish stains down by the drains? They look like dirt but are not coming up with brushing

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by rebar bleeding through? Do you mean there is a fracture in the bottom of the pool?

Metal (tie, rebar) would have been close to the surface of the gunite. Then the plaster is applied, and over time the water reaches the gunite, and the metal. They begin to rust, which bleeds through the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.