Remote Control of Summit Heat Pump

boojew

Jun 16, 2020
Montreal, QC
Hey everyone,

Last year, my heat pump was replaced under warranty; however, the installers did not reconnect my pool automation controller as it was my own setup. I am looking to reconnect it now using the manual located at https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/summit-xl.pdf (page 11); however, I on the Terminal Block (labelled J7) there was no jumper and it has PS crossed out. On my previous unit, this was where I would wire up the switch. I have attempted to wire it up in the this configuration anyways. I have set POOL to 61 (as low it goes and there is no OFF) and SPA to 104. Opening and closing the circuit has no affect and it obeys whatever the onboard system is set too.

Also, when I got to the "advanced menu", I can not find the P_S menu that has "E" as an option. I can find "AFF", which has P_S options - but they remove POOL or SPA from the main screen

Anyone have any experience with this and advise?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 3.33.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 3.33.57 PM.png
    755 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
It looks like Hayward changed the board on you and maybe gave you a different model pump under warranty. It does not match up with the manual you posted.

I don't see the terminal block J7 in the pic you posted.

The manual shows the remote control wires connected to the terminal block on the purple wire connected to the FLO flow switch. Those wires look like they are under the Orange wire connected to J36. If you want to do surgery on your new heater you can cut the purple wire and wire in your remote switch there.

Hayward Manuals for their heat pumps seem to be sparse in details and they don't update them. It may be outsourced and not given much attention.

screenshot-2023-05-23-at-3-33-57-pm-png.495375

Last edited:
The Flo sensor is just a switch that closes connecting the purple wires. If the switch is open the heater is off. You insert the automation relay into that circuit to do the same thing.

Reactions: boojew
To get to the advanced menu for a Hayward Summit, hold the SET key for about 15 secs, until you see a LOC prompt. Use the UP arrow to go to 50. You are now in the SETUP menu. Press the SET button until you see P_S, the options are then IN and E. To control P_S externally, you want that set to E. I'm also curious why your board has the P_S label sharpied out. Note that YMMV as my board is a 2009 rev it seems.
If you ever want to revert back to panel operated, just do that again to get back to IN.
Also note that this setting seems to be pretty volatile; if the heat pump stays without power for too long, it seems to reset to factory settings, which is not a bad behavior IMHO.
Now if anyone has any information on how to pull more information from the device (temps, current and target and any status like FLO, HP/LP), I'd be super interested.

Attachments

• IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.