bmdelaune

Apr 29, 2020
North Texas, USA
TLDR; I started SLAM last night. ~80 CYA, started at 0.3 ppm Chlorine, 7.5 pH. Dumped 4 gallons of 10% bleach. After it was dark (about an hour after dumping) FC read 34 ppm, CC was 1 ppm. This morning before the sun was up, FC read 22 ppm, CC was 0.5ppm. What is going on here? My novice understanding is that the CC would be higher the morning after starting SLAM.

(I apologize in advanced for the major backstory)

I bought a home with an in-ground Vinyl pool here in North Texas last October. Given it was the end of the season, we essentially just kept the pool free of debris through Winter.

I estimate it to be ~11,000 gallons. The water has been crystal clear for the most part, but we were never able to get the chlorine up to levels we wanted. We were using granulated chlorine dissolved into buckets so we didn’t damage the liner.

Found this forum a few weeks ago, ordered my TF-100, and ran through all the tests this weekend, bought some 10% pool bleach from Walmart, and started SLAM.

Sunday night:
- CYA 80
- 34 FC, 1ppm CC
- 7.5 pH
- 115 TA
- 450 CH

Monday morning:
- CYA 80
- 22 FC, 0.5 ppm CC
- 8 pH
- TA (not tested)
- CH (not tested)

We are cash-strapped and can’t really afford to drain and refill the pool yet, so given the high CYA, we figured we’d try to make it work with liquid bleach even though its on the high range.

What I’m looking for if anyone has the time or care:
1. Validation that I’m doing the right thing given the constraints we’re working within. The pool is crystal clear, so its hard to think that all this is necessary, but I’m trusting all the research the people here have put into pool maintenance. Given the fact that the pool is clear, its also hard to imagine that we ate through 14ppm of Chlorine OVERNIGHT. I can’t afford to keep putting that amount of chlorine in the pool.
2. A better understanding of the relationship between FC and CC. I would’ve expected the CC to be higher this morning after eating through so much chlorine.

And, yes, I added another gallon of 10% this morning. I’m impressed by the community here and would love some opinions if anyone has the time.

Best to not test CC during the SLAM. It will confuse you as it can go up and down based on a number of environmental factors.

Test CC at the morning test for a OCLT. With your elevated FC levels needed due to high CYA, you may struggle to see only a 1 ppm FC drop as your error rate is high when using 70 drops or so of reagent.

Your water must be really expensive if 5000 gallons of water costs more than all this liquid chlorine.
You say the pool is clear. Can you drop a quarter in the deep end and tell if it is heads or tails?

If you are testing properly I'd say that FC loss is about normal for a 1st day only SLAM. If your water is pretty clear with no debris it should consume less and less chlorine. The process will not work if you stop now. Just another couple days and it sounds like you may be good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.