Relationship Between CYA and Dichlor

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
I want to up my CYA from 20 to 30 with Dichlor. I see on the Pool Math app where my options are to use a "Dry Stabilizer" or a "Wet Stabilizer". Is Dichlor the same as the Dry Stabilizer?

It says I am to add .5 oz. Is there a formula I can use (my daughter is a math teacher) to precisely figure how much Dichlor corresponds to 10 ppm CYA? I will be using SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate.

It's probably right here under my nose. LOL

Just to be clear, I follow the protocol here and use liquid Chlorine for daily and weekly shocking.

Go to the Hamburger menu in the upper left corner and select effects of adding. Then highlight dichlor and add your amounts to see what you need or what it will do. (y)

Reactions: Gebo
I want to up my CYA from 20 to 30 with Dichlor. I see on the Pool Math app where my options are to use a "Dry Stabilizer" or a "Wet Stabilizer". Is Dichlor the same as the Dry Stabilizer?

It says I am to add .5 oz. Is there a formula I can use (my daughter is a math teacher) to precisely figure how much Dichlor corresponds to 10 ppm CYA? I will be using SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate.

Just to be clear, I follow the protocol here and use liquid Chlorine for daily and weekly shocking.
Dichlor is not stabilizer so the answer is no to both questions. Dichlor “contains” stabilizer along with other things.

You may want to review the TFP method.
We don't do "daily and weekly shocking".
As a matter of fact, we don't "shock" at all. We test daily and add what is needed to the pool based on that testing.

The effects of adding for dichlor is based on 99% dichlor so be sure that’s what you’re using. If not you will need to account for the difference & aim to purchase 99% dichlor in the future.

Reactions: Gebo
One other note - if you log all your dichlor additions (or anything else) then you can go to the summary section in the hamburger menu and pick a time frame to see the cumulative effects of what you have added on specific parameters during that time.
IMG_8683.png

You may want to review the TFP method.
We don't do "daily and weekly shocking".
As a matter of fact, we don't "shock" at all. We test daily and add what is needed to the pool based on that testing.
I think he’s referring to the chlorine spa guide which does suggest weekly shocking (raising to slam level) if you’re so inclined (although this is not necessary if adequate fc is always maintained)
@Gebo to clear things up-
shock = the act of raising fc to slam/shock level for your cya
This can be done with any form of chlorine.
Shock is a verb not a particular product (even if the package says so 😁)
I imagine that daily you’re simply chlorinating as needed, not raising fc to shock/slam level.

Reactions: Newdude
I think he’s referring to the chlorine spa guide which does suggest weekly shocking (raising to slam level) if you’re so inclined (although this is not necessary if adequate fc is always maintained)
@Gebo to clear things up-
shock = the act of raising fc to slam/shock level for your cya
This can be done with any form of chlorine.
Shock is a verb not a particular product (even if the package says so 😁)
I imagine that daily you’re simply chlorinating as needed, not raising fc to shock/slam level.
Yes, I knew I read it somewhere. On Mondays, I add my 1.75 oz AquaClarity and get my Chlorine to 12 based on the CYA of 30. Now...

to be honest and transparent. I have been SLAMing every Monday. I'm gonna start a new thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep your info here in this thread. Starting a new thread creates confusion on responders replies.
But I have a different question and I was trying to follow your previous advice to me. I have already added it. It's about SLAM.
Totally different topic. I thought it would be better served in a new thread. See what you think and I'll do whatever you want me to.:)

But I have a different question and I was trying to follow your previous advice to me. I have already added it. It's about SLAM.
Totally different topic. I thought it would be better served in a new thread. See what you think and I'll do whatever you want me to.:)
If it truly doesn’t apply they’ll move it don’t worry 😉

Can confirm if new threads are started, they are usually related and we move them back. Also can confirm when new threads aren't started, they aren't related and we split them off. We fully understand to blame Mr Murphy and the OP means no harm either way. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gebo and Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.