relationship between cya and chlorine and salt

Maresa

Aug 28, 2014
Haverhill, Mass
OMG you guys are so good and helpful!!!! A couple basic questions from a fairly new pool owner who has forgotten EVERYTHING I have ever learned and am desperate.
Just opened pool. SWG seems to not be working right (brand new last year). Salt test says 1500. FC is close to zero. CYA is about 20. BTW, water is cold. So what should I do first? Add salt? Add chlorine? (What kind? Dichlor, Trichlor, Hypo?) And/or add CYA?
Thank you SO MUCH!!

You did NOT forget everything! You remembered where TFP is! You are good!

Lets go a problem at a time:

-SWG-they do not work when the water is cold. Some like the water to be in the 50s some the 60s. So it might work once your water warms up!

-FC I would use liquid chlorine to push the TC up. Use this chart to know where to get it:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

-I would add enough CYA to get you to 30. Use pool math. Look in my siggy below for the link.

-salt-I would add enough salt to get it where your SWG's manual says it should be.

This should get you going while you wait for the water to warm up!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.