Refill after acid wash

CFE4130

Jun 14, 2022
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pool was finished in May 2022. We had an acid wash today because the plaster looked like Crud. The plaster company used a pressure washer while applying the plaster and there were pressure washing lines all over. Pool is refilling now, and I believe it will be filled by morning. Also, we are expected to receive a lot of rain tomorrow. How should I go about balancing the water? Should I wait until after the rain passes and then test using my Taylor 2005 kit?

Should I wait until after the rain passes and then test using my Taylor 2005 kit?
Depends. If it's a torrential rain that will overflow the pool or require you to let some water (or chemicals) out, then just let that pass. If it's some simple bad weather with steady rain that's okay. Once the water level is high enough for the system to operate, let the water mix for a few hours before taking your first water sample.

1. You probably know there will be no CYA, so have that available and ready to add. Use the sock method with granular stabilizer if you have it.
2. Test/adjust the pH as needed.
3. Add about 3 ppm of liquid chlorine on day one. Day 2 and beyond, balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
4. TA has a large window of acceptance. Anything in the 60-120 range is fine for now. If it's outside of that window let us know.
5. CH should be at least 250, but anywhere between 300 - 500 is fine to get started.

Items 1 thru 3 are your biggest priority at first. When all else fails, post a full set of results back here and we'll be glad to help.

Reactions: HermanTX
Depends. If it's a torrential rain that will overflow the pool or require you to let some water (or chemicals) out, then just let that pass. If it's some simple bad weather with steady rain that's okay. Once the water level is high enough for the system to operate, let the water mix for a few hours before taking your first water sample.

1. You probably know there will be no CYA, so have that available and ready to add. Use the sock method with granular stabilizer if you have it.
2. Test/adjust the pH as needed.
3. Add about 3 ppm of liquid chlorine on day one. Day 2 and beyond, balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
4. TA has a large window of acceptance. Anything in the 60-120 range is fine for now. If it's outside of that window let us know.
5. CH should be at least 250, but anywhere between 300 - 500 is fine to get started.

Items 1 thru 3 are your biggest priority at first. When all else fails, post a full set of results back here and we'll be glad to help
Thank you. When should I start adding salt? Also, is it weird that my Omnilogic app shows average salt is 3100ppm right now?

using my Taylor 2005 kit?
You need the fas/dpd add on kit for FC, the K-1515 and last I checked you could get larger kits K-1515C for example. The drop/comparator block FC test is really just to test the presence of chlorine without much accuracy over 3.

The rest of the tests in your k2005 are the same. :)

When should I start adding salt? Also, is it weird that my Omnilogic app shows average salt is 3100ppm right now?
Not sure why the APP would be showing salt with fresh water, but you can add salt at any time since your plaster is not new.

And eventhough it's a fresh fill, make sure to get a good baseline for salt before adding with a K-1766. We had a member last season get 600ppm salt from startup alone. It's not going to be super high, but could still foul up the target. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As for speed, percentage is just another way of calculating rpms. For example, 100% is 3,450 rpm. 50% is 1,725 rpm etc. You cold theoretically go down to about 30% and should be fine, but start at 50% if you like and experiment from there.

As for speed, percentage is just another way of calculating rpms. For example, 100% is 3,450 rpm. 50% is 1,725 rpm etc. You cold theoretically go down to about 30% and should be fine, but start at 50% if you like and experiment from there.
Thank you for all of your help. I ran the spa pump for about thirty minutes. Now the Crud has accumulated in the corners. What should I do?PXL_20230209_000428706.jpg

Now the Crud has accumulated in the corners. What should I do?
Are you able to collect some of it? It looks like calcium. Place some in a pile and pour a tiny bit if acid or vinegar in it to see if it fizzles. It's possible that is residual calcium or material from teh acid wash, but I'd be curious to know about the fizzle test.

Are you able to collect some of it? It looks like calcium. Place some in a pile and pour a tiny bit if acid or vinegar in it to see if it fizzles. It's possible that is residual calcium or material from teh acid wash, but I'd be curious to know about the fizzle test.
I had to got out of town. I tried to collect some but it was impossible. With the next it just broke up, and also tried with a large spoon to no success. I put the dolphin in and it looked like it got rid of most of it. I then ran the pump and the blower, and it looked like the rest was gone. Should be good now.
I started the SWG this morning and salt level is at 3100. My wife will test the levels when she gets home from work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.