Reducing Alkalinity

Then remove it from your signature if it is no longer on your equipment.

Trying to find the clues as to what is going on with your pool and why it looks like you have an iron problem.
Sorry about the mixup with the feeder - I did update my signature - didn’t realize it showed that.

Also, wasn’t trying to difficult with the pad question - I didn’t see how it was related. I’d be happy to post a picture when I get home to take one. For what it’s worth, it’s all PVC from pump to Hayward sand filter (and multiport valve), to SWG to returns. I can’t think of where metal would even come from. After I washed out the SWG the water coming from it is no longer brown. I’m wondering if a piece of iron something or other could have gotten in there? I’m very confused by the whole thing. Will be home in about 2 hours and post a photo.

I am grateful for all the help!

Here is a photo of the pad. I went to a pool store simply to test for metals. They said my metals are all within range and maybe even a bit low (to be fair they used a dip stick and not drop testing). We’ve tried brushing and nothing happens. Is it possible it’s mustard algae?

IMG_9476.jpeg

Unscrew your flow switch that is before your cell and check that it is not corroding.

Could be. Hard for me to follow the plumbing with that shot.
Flow switch is after the cell. I took it apart and didn’t see any corrosion, but I’m attaching photos so you can see. I turned off the SWG and am doing an overnight FC loss test. I just shocked it to mustard algae level - in the event that’s what I’m dealing with. I’ll post results tomorrow.

I really appreciate all of your help with this!

Gratefully,
Seth

IMG_9479.jpeg
IMG_9478.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance the person who was watching your pool added something you dont know about?

Any chance the person who was watching your pool added something you dont know about?
It’s possible, but he told me only the MA. I tried getting in touch to ask, but I had to leave a message and haven’t heard back.

The pool did not pass the overnight test. Lost at least 5 ppm of FC. I’m guessing it’s mustard algae? The water did look better this morning.

Here are some photos from today:

IMG_9480.jpeg
IMG_9482.jpeg

Last edited:
That is not how you approach algae in your pool. Even with mustard algae, you complete the normal SLAM Process first. Then run the 24 hour mustard algae protocol with sustained mustard algae minimum FC for several weeks.

That is not how you approach algae in your pool. Even with mustard algae, you complete the normal SLAM Process first. Then run the 24 hour mustard algae protocol with sustained mustard algae minimum FC for several weeks.
The issue, per the thread, is I wasn’t sure what was going on. There was a yellowish tint that slamming wasn’t taking care of - after 3 full days of slamming. I had no idea what that was because the pool was being cared for by a friend while I was out of town. My previous slamming efforts have always worked very quickly - so this was confusing me.

I believe the pool is back to normal, and I’m posting an update in the event it’s helpful to someone else.

I discovered from someone else who had stopped by the house while we were gone that my pool had been extremely low on water. My educated guess is it was so low that the pump wasn’t pushing enough water through to trigger the flow switch and get the SWG turned on. It bloomed algae because it was sunny and dry. Then when the person watching the pool added water, he put the hose directly in the water causing it to corrode and add metal stains to the liner (hence the yellow stains that are removed with a vitamin C tablet). My slamming the pool when we got home took care of the algae but not the stains. Interestingly enough, the stains are slowly going away. Pool water is a beautiful blue with sparkle. Thanks, everyone, for the various suggestions and help!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.