joeprunc

Apr 26, 2021
Discovery Bay, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I've been trying to figure out a way to reduce the noise from our new 1.5hp Jandy air blower. Ultimately I'd like to enclose my pool equipment, but will be a later project.
We added a three way valve to vent off the overly powerful blower to keep the water in the spa when the blower is going (this also added noise when running).

Has anyone done anything to reduce their blower noise levels?

My DIY thoughts:
  • I'm looking quiet the exhaust off the blower vent with a custom muffler. I plan to use a motorcycle muffler core and muffler packing inside the 2.5" exhaust piping.
  • To quiet the air blower I'm thinking of using a 5 gallon bucket with car sound deadening material on the inside, then setting the bucket upside down over the blower. I know heat is an issue for blowers so this might now be ideal.
Its probably a lot of work for small gains. But I'm sure I'm not the only one with this type of issue.

I vented my blower off with a Tee and two-way valve. I know it can be a bit loud depending on how far the valve is open. but my equipment is in a shed.

You're not the only one with the problem, but you're the only one I've heard of trying to do anything about it.

The muffler idea is original. I would try that before trying to cover the blower itself.

Let us know how it works out.

Success!!!
I used the motorcycle insert and removed the cap. It used some electrical tape to make it fit a little tighter. Then used automotive noise deadening sheet on the ID of the 2.5” pipe. It REALLY deadens the exhaust sound!

Next I’ll try to use the sound deadening on the ID of a 5 gallon bucket to see if I can quiet the blower itself

You can use this muffler for $5…

You reminded me I had an extra muffler for my central vacuum. I installed behind my spa blower bleed valve. Even with the valve at the loudest position, it's nearly silent.

Great tip Allen!

1650825719019.png

Success!!!
I used the motorcycle insert and removed the cap. It used some electrical tape to make it fit a little tighter. Then used automotive noise deadening sheet on the ID of the 2.5” pipe. It REALLY deadens the exhaust sound!

Next I’ll try to use the sound deadening on the ID of a 5 gallon bucket to see if I can quiet the blower itself
Nice. Can you share some pics on how this was accomplished. Interested in tackling this myself.

You can use this muffler for $5…

I was going to use something like this, but since all my piping is 2.5" I didn't want to restrict it down to a 1"...now that I think about it its do different than having the valve fully closed :D. Engineers minds don't always look at the simplest solution.

Careful putting a bucket over the blower. If you restrict the intake air too much you will overheat the blower motor. It should be thermally switched to protect the motor but you don’t want to overheat it too often as that will shorten its life.

It honestly sounds like your blower is oversized. My spa has no blower on it, just an air intake for the Venturi jets to naturally pull in air. It’s fine. Never understood the need for pressurized air lines … seems overkill.

Careful putting a bucket over the blower. If you restrict the intake air too much you will overheat the blower motor. It should be thermally switched to protect the motor but you don’t want to overheat it too often as that will shorten its life.

It honestly sounds like your blower is oversized. My spa has no blower on it, just an air intake for the Venturi jets to naturally pull in air. It’s fine. Never understood the need for pressurized air lines … seems overkill.
Yes, I am worried about over heating and will monitor the heat when first trying it. I was going to install spacers on the inside of the bucket to allow an air gap between the bucket and blower to help with heat dissipation. The reason for the bucket, is my blower has just air intake ports on the bottom of the blower, the open bucket should not restrict the inlet.

Yes the blower is overpowered for sure, I think a 1HP would be better. I pulled the air blower off before doing any of this, and there was not enough to pull from the air to generate bubbles. Not sure if that's because the blower is 50' from the spa, or if its the plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool has been completed for just over a year. I tried using the blower once and not only was it loud but way too powerful. The blower was splashing the spa water all over the place. If anyone was in the spa they would have been taking a shower. I will have to do something myself.

Do share photos with your solution for silencing it.

Here are some photos. I used a 3 way valve because I had one left over from the build, and used 45s to offset the blower motor itself because I wanted to relocate blower itself over so it's outermost aligned with the rest of my equipment (this will make it easier for when I cover the equipment due to my limited space).
IMG_1823.jpeg

The below photos are of the motorcycle muffler insert. (when installed the painted side is face down). Again this is for a 2.5" pipe (insert will be a different for 2" pipe). I haven't glued anything and it holds fine.

IMG_1826.jpegIMG_1825.jpeg1650981915787.png

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out a way to reduce the noise from our new 1.5hp Jandy air blower. Ultimately I'd like to enclose my pool equipment, but will be a later project.
We added a three way valve to vent off the overly powerful blower to keep the water in the spa when the blower is going (this also added noise when running).

Has anyone done anything to reduce their blower noise levels?

My DIY thoughts:
  • I'm looking quiet the exhaust off the blower vent with a custom muffler. I plan to use a motorcycle muffler core and muffler packing inside the 2.5" exhaust piping.
  • To quiet the air blower I'm thinking of using a 5 gallon bucket with car sound deadening material on the inside, then setting the bucket upside down over the blower. I know heat is an issue for blowers so this might now be ideal.
Its probably a lot of work for small gains. But I'm sure I'm not the only one with this type of issue.

I installed a 2" ball valve and 2" pvc tee to control the air volume from the Jandy Spa Air Blower PSB215 to the spa. The bled air allows you to adjust the right amount of air bubbles you desire in the spa but the bled air creates noise as a result. I've been successful to reduce this acoustic noise by installing a muffler which I bought on Amazon for $25, see link: Parker ES100MC Aluminum Exhaust Silencer, 1" NPTF, 1013 scfm Flow, 2.01" Diameter x 4.56" Length, 250 psi: Compressed Air Pneumatic Mufflers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific . I installed 2 mufflers but actually 1 muffler was sufficient.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 31
In the early 80’s I used to work for Parker at their Irvine, CA aerospace division. I guess I didn’t know all of their manufacturing divisions.

In the early 80’s I used to work for Parker at their Irvine, CA aerospace division. I guess I didn’t know all of their manufacturing divisions.

Ha! Not so long ago ... ok, a decade ago, I used to drive by the Parker facility in Irvine almost daily ...

• Haha
Reactions: an1vrsy
I have a model 6315201 4.0 amps 240v blower from Air Supply. I called them a few months ago with some questions about the volume of air coming out of my spa returns. Below is the email I received from them. They were very helpful answering my questions and prompt with sending me a solution.

Good afternoon,

As per our conversation, here’s the variable speed controller that I was referring to. It’s a 2x4 switch plate that can be installed directly onto the electrical box of the blower (you’ll need an outdoor rated switch cover if the blower is outdoors). It’s a very simple install, no more difficult than installing a standard light switch. We tested this particular one and it worked flawlessly. I do recommend against running it below ~50% speed, as you can run into overheating issues due to lack of airflow at a certain point.

Here’s the link: K177-2005 | KB Electronics Solid State Variable Speed AC Electric Motor Control 5.0 Max amps 230V - Tool Speed Control - Amazon.com

Let me know if you have any questions!

Matt Bedard

Phone: 954-977-0877 Ext. 109

Email: [email protected]

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
After reading some of the solutions I tried a similar approach and am pleased with the outcome.
I purchased a replacement blower, Jandy PSB215 240v. It was too powerful to where water was bubbling up over the sides of the pool’s spa. Fortunately, the previous owners had already installed a diverter valve to offset the amount of air going to the spa. In using the valve, the noise was unbearable. My solution was to install

MZS Exhaust Muffler, Straight Through Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip 15" Length 2" Inlet 3" Outlet from Amazon​

The muffler has a 2” inlet but a 3” outlet which I figure would be more beneficial so as not to restrict air flow and being Stainless steel, it would work well outside and not rust. Although it’s made for cars, nothing else seemed appropriate.
The 2” inlet was smaller than the 2” pvc elbow so I had to use a bit of electrical tape on the muffler to fit snug into the elbow.
Here’s the link for the muffer

IMG_0941.jpegIMG_0941.jpeg