Red 'wigglies' and too much shock?

Yep, Irmo- I love Coal!

Anyway, does anyone know how long it should take for my levels to come down? I added 3 cups of acid today and they are still high tonight. Should I add more acid or just wait? I don't want to bring them down to much and have to add to bring em up. Also, I'm still gettiing some scaling (not alot like I had but some) on top of the water. I'm runnig the SWG and pump about 5 hrs/day- should I be running more or less right now? Shoudl I empty 25% of the water and see if that helps?

Butterfly said:
dmanb2b said:
to be safe...I would wait until you are able to get a full water analysis to get back in... with the acid...you want to wait at least 1hr for the water to circulate and the test the PH before getting in.
:goodjob: Sounds good.

So, DH is from Irmo! Small, small world. We have a Columbia address, but we are in Coldstream, very close to Irmo. :wink:

GO COCKS! :lol: Another USC fan! :lol:

what is your current PH reading? MA works pretty fast...30mins-1hr if pump is working properly...are you sure the PH is still high? 3 cups should have done the trick...can I ask you to confirm the concentration of MA you are using?

Also...you should run the pump for 12 hours per day until your condition improves...but be careful to not let the SWG run all that time...ie run the pump and not the SWG until your FC level comes down.

FYI...the only way we can help is if you give us test results...otherwise we would just be guessing :roll:

Reducing Cl/ BR

Hi guys, how do I reduce the cl/br without reducing the ph? Do I need more acid? My ph is good/ salt is good but the cl and br are round 10/11- I added 3 cups of acid yesterday? What else can I do?

Re: Reducing Cl/ BR

ellisongirls said:
What else can I do?

Post a full set of test results as asked above. :mrgreen:

Acid does nothing to chlorine, it lowers PH and TA, that's it. You said "PH is good" so don't add any more acid.

Chlorine (ignore the br- that stands for bromine and you don't use it) of 10 with your CYA is fine, it's below your "shock" level, you can swim with it at 10, if that is why you are asking?

What does your water look like, are there still worms? Do you have green murky water? Cloudy?

If you still don't understand the water chemistry issues, you need to go to Pool School and read the articles again. :wink:

I have posted all of my test results, the test I currenly have at the moment is the one for walmart ( it came with the pool- when we purchansed the house). It only test three things, Cl. BR and ph the full test results were from the sample I took to the pool store( which is 45 mns away). Also, as mention before my water is slightly cloudy not bad ( I can see the bottom of the pool but not very clear). I have slight scaling on top of the water and the red worms are gone. Thanks a million for all ofyour help!
I have been to pool school so much you'd think I'd understand all of this but .......I'm still having some problems-I guess I Should just wait a few days to see what happens??

ellisongirls said:
I have posted all of my test results, the test I currenly have at the moment is the one for walmart ( it came with the pool- when we purchansed the house). It only test three things, Cl. BR and ph the full test results were from the sample I took to the pool store( which is 45 mns away). Also, as mention before my water is slightly cloudy not bad ( I can see the bottom of the pool but not very clear). I have slight scaling on top of the water and the red worms are gone. Thanks a million for all ofyour help!
I have been to pool school so much you'd think I'd understand all of this but .......I'm still having some problems-I guess I Should just wait a few days to see what happens??

Sorry, maybe my last post wasn't helpful. You posted test results on Saturday, before you added PH. Then you said your "levels were high" and the acid didn't do anything. So at least three people asked for updated test results. You gave "PH is okay", and asked if the acid would lower chlorine, I assume because the kids want to swim. But if your water is still cloudy, and your FC is at 10, you are not done shocking.

If your CYA level is almost 40, then your shock level is 16. So your level of 10 is not high enough. I would work on clearing your pool completely before you let the kids swim. This means bringing the pool to shock level with liquid chlorine, and holding it there, until the water is clear, the FC holds overnight, and the CC is .5 or less. Without a recommended test kit like these, you will be guessing and have a difficult time getting your water safe for swimming.

So please, read this article, follow the steps to the letter, and this article - How to Shock your pool - and you should have no problem clearing your pool.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Ok, I understand. I know I need a better test kit however, right now I can't purchase one. My husband is in the military and on a long deployment, forcing me to have to quit my job unitl he returns. Therefore we are down to one income and I'm doing my best to make due until I can save for it. Believe me, I want the test kits becasue I see how much easier it would be. Thanks for all the help, it is truely appreciated.
Yes, my children want to see- this has been a huge pain/stressor for me and the kids are bugging me now to swim but with this being my first time ever dealing with this I don't want to do something that could possibly hurt them. I'll re-read your articles and if I don't get it I'll let you know. I thought that with the SWG I wouldn't need to add Chlorine but I guess I was wrong. I aslo thought adding Cholrine to the SWG would mess it up- but I guess that was wrong too.

Ok. So, another poster told me to shock the pool again. Do I shouck and run the SWG then the filter pump or just run the filter pump for a couple of days and see what happens? I still have slight scaling on top of the water. I am trying to fiqure out a way to get a better tester. Can you suggest one that is closer to $30.00- If not I'm na have to wait on one. Thanks-
dmanb2b said:
Also...you should run the pump for 12 hours per day until your condition improves...but be careful to not let the SWG run all that time...ie run the pump and not the SWG until your FC level comes down.

FYI...the only way we can help is if you give us test results...otherwise we would just be guessing :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ellisongirls said:
Yep, Irmo- I love Coal!

Anyway, does anyone know how long it should take for my levels to come down? I added 3 cups of acid today and they are still high tonight. Should I add more acid or just wait? I don't want to bring them down to much and have to add to bring em up. Also, I'm still gettiing some scaling (not alot like I had but some) on top of the water. I'm runnig the SWG and pump about 5 hrs/day- should I be running more or less right now? Shoudl I empty 25% of the water and see if that helps?

Butterfly said:
dmanb2b said:
to be safe...I would wait until you are able to get a full water analysis to get back in... with the acid...you want to wait at least 1hr for the water to circulate and the test the PH before getting in.
:goodjob: Sounds good.

So, DH is from Irmo! Small, small world. We have a Columbia address, but we are in Coldstream, very close to Irmo. :wink:

GO COCKS! :lol: Another USC fan! :lol:

I would not add any more until you test...My rule of thumb is always add less then what is called for...circulate and test...I can always add more later...But it is much harder to correct for adding too much. And why waste the time and effort correcting for adding too much. I will leave the SWG to the experts here...Don't know a thing about them.

A SWG adds chlorine slowly and steadily, which is great for day to day usage. But when you need to shock you want the FC level to go up quickly, which a SWG can't do. Adding chlorine manually is fine even when you have a SWG.

The crucial judgement you need to make is to determine if you still have living algae or not. With a top quality test kit you could figure that out easily. Without a good test kit you need to guess, which can often result in using more chlorine than you otherwise would just to be sure you got all the algae. This is one of the reasons having a good test kit can save you money in the long run.

Without a FAS-DPD chlorine test, I would turn on the pump/filter and the SWG, and also add chlorine manually to shock level, and keep that up till the water is clear just to make sure the algae is all really dead. With a FAS-DPD chlorine test you could measure overnight FC loss and be sure if the algae is dead or not.

ellisongirls said:
I am trying to fiqure out a way to get a better tester. Can you suggest one that is closer to $30.00-

At the very least you need the FAST-DPD test (click on the link below) to get you thru ( when you can't get to the pool store for the other tests) It's about$25 and will test the FC up to 50. You need this for defeating algae problems like yours.
http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=23

Yes, I would listen to Jason and frustratedpoolmom...I had assume your water was clear and that you were trying to get your FC (Chlorine level) down...(FYI...Chlorine comes down over time, nothing you can add that will make it come down quickly, other than bacteria/algae..etc, which you don;t want) Please go ahead and raise your FC to Shock level with bleach...let the water clear, run pump and SWG 24/7 until clear...then you can turn the SWG off until your FC comes down to non-shock levels. I know the kiddies are anxious, but this step is neccessary to ensure there are no harmful contaminants in your pool water.

Okay, for those of you that suggested that I have an algae problem, I place more shock, however I don't think by the look of the water there is an algae problem becasue it's crystal clear until I go to vacuum or stir up the bottom of the pool which leads me to think there is too much shock~ just my thoughts. It's pouring rain here so maybe that will help.......or not.
Here are my new numbers from the pool store today.
Temp- 70
sat idx- 0.4
TDS 3400
CYA 99
tot chlor 10 or higher she said
free chol 10
ph 8.5
tot alk 198
adj total alk 198
tot hardness 37
salt 3500
So, now what's next? The lady at the pool store asked me if I could backwash with my filter pump? I honestly don't know so if someone does that would help too? I guess it' stoo much shock??????

Most Intex pump filter combination units use cartridge filters, which need to be removed and cleaned, and occasionally replaced with new filter cartridges. By and large Intex filters are not very good and take extra long to clear up the water.

Yeah, I have been told not so good things about the Intext filter pump but from the stats online about he SWG/filter pump combo unit- it has good reviews. Anyway, the fliter is less that two days old- the entire pump isn't even a week old. I'm not sure what you are suggesting? Should I give it more time? I REALLY DON'T THINK IT"S ALGAE. The water it beautiful until you disrupt the bottom.
JasonLion said:
Most Intex pump filter combination units use cartridge filters, which need to be removed and cleaned, and occasionally replaced with new filter cartridges. By and large Intex filters are not very good and take extra long to clear up the water.

ellisongirls said:
Okay, for those of you that suggested that I have an algae problem, I place more shock, however I don't think by the look of the water there is an algae problem becasue it's crystal clear until I go to vacuum or stir up the bottom of the pool which leads me to think there is too much shock~ just my thoughts. It's pouring rain here so maybe that will help.......or not.
Here are my new numbers from the pool store today.
Temp- 70
sat idx- 0.4
TDS 3400
CYA 99
tot chlor 10 or higher she said
free chol 10
ph 8.5
tot alk 198
adj total alk 198
tot hardness 37
salt 3500
So, now what's next? The lady at the pool store asked me if I could backwash with my filter pump? I honestly don't know so if someone does that would help too? I guess it' stoo much shock??????

No, it's not too much shock, I hope you stopped using the Aquachem "shock plus" ? You may not have had what you considered "algae" but your pool sat for almost a week with no chemicals in it. So shocking was required, because even though you didn't see green, it was on the verge of happening.

No, you can't backwash your filter. Only Sand filters and DE filters can be backwashed, you have an Intex Cartridge Filter system, that uses disposable cartridges that must be replaced when they get dirty. This is a quote from the Intex website:

Question
How often should the filter cartridge be replaced?

Answer
Depending on usage and water conditions, it is recommended that the cartridges be replaced at minimum 2 week intervals. The filter cartridge should be removed and checked at least once a week. It can be partially cleaned by rinsing off with a garden hose and brush. If it still appears to be dirty, it should be replaced immediately.

This is under normal use. When you have "issues" you need to check the filter more often, spray it off with a garden hose, but if that doesn't get it "clean" you need to replace it. Replace the cartridge every 2 weeks as their website instructs, clear pool or not. You may be able to order cartridges that are not disposable, the kind that can be cleaned like a "normal" cartridge. But the Intex brand ones are not meant for that use and are cheaply made and meant to be thrown away.

All that stuff at the bottom is the "dead stuff" - what is left AFTER you shocked, and it needs to be vacumed out of your pool, because the filter is inadequate and can't do it alone.

You need to find your manual for the filter unit and tell us the model number, is it the 2500 gph or the 4000 or whatever? You need to figure out (and we can help you with more info) how to vacume the bottom of the pool so that the stuff on the bottom is vacumed out to your yard, not thru your filter, does that make sense?

While the SWG unit may get good reviews, I trust the reports of the Intex owners on these forums, and they report time and again how difficult it is to work with the Intex filters to clear up a pool once there is a problem. This is irregardless of the SWG part of the unit which by all accounts works fairly well. The filters, however are an entirely different story. They are independed of each other even though they are sold as a unit. Make sense?

You began with a problem, so you have had an uphill battle from the beginning. If you started off clean from day one, it is likely you would have had a better result. But because your pool sat untreated for a week, it developed a problem and here we are today.

Shock is something you do, not something you buy - but the pool stores don't tell you this. You used too much of the Aquachem shock plus and now your CYA has risen too rapidly from about 40 to about 100. That is because that particular granular "shock" is Dichlor, and it contains CYA. Please stop using it and when and if you ever need to shock your pool, you should use liquid chlorine or bleach, unless you are trying to raise your CYA. Right now yours is too high.

With an SWG, you want your CYA to be 70-80...so 99, if accurate is too high, but that will come down when you vacume, as you will lose water by vacuming to waste, and that has to be replaced. You need to understand what a huge difference a level of 40 vs a level of 99 is. The higher the CYA, the higher the FC and Shock level, please look at the chart in my signature.

It is often the key to clearing up a cloudy or murky pool. This is another reason why we recommend the test kit, so you can accurately check the CYA yourself. Relying on pool stores is a last result because they often don't do the test right. So right now your chlorine level is fine, if you can clear up the crud on the bottom it won't even be an issue and you will be able to use the SWG, but first....

Again, your PH has gotten too high. EVERY time the PH rises up past 7.8 you need to add Muratic Acid to lower it to 7.2. Eventually, when you repeat this process over and over (which you will and you should) your TA will come down to the recommended 70-90 and your PH will stabilize. But until then, You need to keep up with the PH level and add the acid as instructed.

So this is a lot to take in and I hope it makes sense to you, I don't want you to feel more overwhelmed. :shock: Just keep reading it and it should all begin to make sense. Use the google search in the bottom left corner to search the various threads about Intex pools on here, and you will find lots of useful advice and hints.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.