Recommends for a new budget friendly pump.

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
What do you guys recommend for a new budget friendly inground pump, and who would you buy from? My pool is about 8000 gallons. I thought I had found one on clearance from Inyo Pools, but I got an order cancelation today.

I assume you would like a Variable Speed pump? It would be the best choice.

Inyopools has some plus Circupool carries some. All have good warranties for DIY install. Get a 1.5hp or larger VS pump. Be sure to check if you have 120 or 240 v service to the pump.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I would like a variable speed pump, but with my job and the economy, I am only able to afford something on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I want something reliable that will circulate the water and I will control it manually.

My motor is good. It is the wet end that is bad. I have a 1993 Hayward Maxflow. I am not sure if it is just the seal kit or if the housing is cracked on the bottom. The housing is about $200 to replace. That doesn’t include the seal kit or anything else that might be about to break inside.

BB,

It's almost always the seal. But you have a very old pump so I'd take it apart and check. Once you do this you'll have more facts so you can make a better decision. Running it with the seal leaking is going to cause your motor to fail. Water runs down the motor shaft and gets inside the bearing. It's not designed for chlorinated water so it fails pretty quickly when this happens. In the long run the most cost effective solution will definitely be to change out to a 1,5 hp VS pump. But if you're strapped for $ right now and just need to band aid it dismantle the pump and look for a crack. If it's not cracked all you most likely need is a new seal and housing seal assembly. About $50. But you could also need a diffuser and impeller which could be another $80-$100. If your pump isn't making a lot of noise or vibrating this is less likely but it's easy to check. Just realize you're on borrowed time with this solution on a pump almost 20 years old. When you re-assemble be careful not to over-tighten the bolts. Old housings crack easier.

I would not recommend putting $200+ into this old pump. Too easy to have this backfire on you and end up costing $350. For this you could get a decent new 2-speed pump such as a Harris Proforce or Extreme Power. These are not going to be high end 20 year pumps but they'll get you by for at least 5 years or more.

This crazy world of virus economy and income risk requires many have to focus on short term 'till we recover normal lives. One of our kids is in similar situation. Hang in there this will get better.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thanks for those recommendations. That is more inline with my budget rather than my hopes and dreams. Even if I just get 4-5 years out of the new pump, that is likely more than I would get out of the old one if I repaired it, and at a cheaper cost.

I have had my eye on a variable speed and salt water set up for a while. That will have to wait.

I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate this forum. You guys have walked me through a lot of repairs. When I bought the house, the mulitiport and connecting hose was just held together with a thick layer of duct tape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.