Recommended levels

JasonLion said:
waterbear said:
From practical experience I can tell you that having calcium in this higher range WILL lead to scaling because most SWG owners do let their pH spike above 8.0...I see it all the time.

An excellent point! Many people with any aeration will allow their PH to go up to 8.4 at some point. Unless they are using trichlor it is remarkably unlikely that they will have their PH go down dramatically. Except for trichlor users, it makes a great deal of sense to bias things so that a PH of 8.4 is not a serious problem.
Doesn't need to be even that high. IMHO, anything above 8.0 is potential scaling unless TA is low. (As in the "Hamilton Index".)
Trichlor users have almost the exactly opposite effect, low PH is likely and high PH is unlikely. Perhaps all we need is an additional note in the trichlor footnote to do something that raises SI when using trichlor.
For trichlor users, if they watch their TA and don't let it drop below 80 (which is why I recommend 100-120) then their pH WILL NOT crash! Trichlor depletes TA and when it does pH crashes. Remember I have a lot of cusotmers that still use trichlor and once I get them to watch their TA their pH doesn't crash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.