Recommended CYA

brunnesa

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
Tuttle Ok
Just put water in my pool last Tuesday, so it has been a week. Currently I am adding a gallon of 10% chlorine a day to my pool with a CYA of 30. The pool gets direct sunlight all day long. Is there a recommended CYA level so I am not using quite so much chlorine each day? I am currently adding chlorine at night before sundown and it goes to 6 and by the same time next day it is 2 before adding more. Thanks.

I've got the same size pool as you've got. Also, I'm in a similar situation. Pool is exposed to the sun from 8:30am until 6:30pm every day. Either the wife, my son, myself (or all three of us) use the pool every single afternoon. My CYA is currently holding around 40 and I'm adding between 60 and 100 oz of 10% chlorine every day. It's really clear water and most every time I test it in the evenings, FC reads about 1.5 or 2. But it's not incredibly expensive, just a little bit of time and effort.

One gallon (128oz) of 10% bleach in a 13,500 gallon pool will add 7.4ppm to FC.

That is a very high chlorine demand. The two major contributors to FC demand in a swimming pool is UV (sunlight) and organics (algae, bather waste, etc).

To rule out Algae or other organic materials you should perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass the OCLT, chances are that this is a UV issue, and should raise your CYA to see how much it will help. If you fail the OCLT, you should SLAM Process the pool.

I recommend you don't raise CYA until you confirm the pool passes an OCLT.

Maybe you need to increase your CYA to 40 or 50. I was having the same issue. I have direct sunlight and I was losing a lot of FC during the day. I've since increased my CYA to 50, and I've had no issues thus far.

Just put water in my pool last Tuesday, so it has been a week. Currently I am adding a gallon of 10% chlorine a day to my pool with a CYA of 30. The pool gets direct sunlight all day long. Is there a recommended CYA level so I am not using quite so much chlorine each day? I am currently adding chlorine at night before sundown and it goes to 6 and by the same time next day it is 2 before adding more. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.