south florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an inground pool in South Florida perhaps 1/8 mile from ocean. It has a small spa. Over the last 30 years I think I have had 4 gas heaters. Most of them rust away because of the hot salty climate. Down here we only use heaters Nov to March and maybe even less. Personally I would only use the pool on weekends. I am looking for the best gas heater because I have natural gas. I have not even started to do my own research so for some reason if electric is the recommendation, I would be glad to listen. Wish solar was option for me because of all the sun but roof panels is not something I am interested in. Other than that I am completely open at any reasonable price range.
Thank you

All gas pool heaters will rust on you. Running the heater every few days for 30 minutes will help it last longer by burning away moisture. Not running a heater does not helps save its life, it just lets it sit there and rust away.

I would not recommend a Raypak natural draft heater. Their burners have no protection from rusting.

Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy all have sealed burner forced draft gas heaters.

What model heaters have you had?

Last edited:
I have an inground pool in South Florida perhaps 1/8 mile from ocean. It has a small spa. Over the last 30 years I think I have had 4 gas heaters. Most of them rust away because of the hot salty climate. Down here we only use heaters Nov to March and maybe even less. Personally I would only use the pool on weekends. I am looking for the best gas heater because I have natural gas. I have not even started to do my own research so for some reason if electric is the recommendation, I would be glad to listen. Wish solar was option for me because of all the sun but roof panels is not something I am interested in. Other than that I am completely open at any reasonable price range.
Thank you
I have had a Hayward
Thank you
I have had a Hayward H series Low Nox 200 FDN natural gas heater for about 8 years and it works great. My pool is above ground and about 16000 gallons. Hayward makes that heater in a number of different sizes. You probably need to get a larger version of this heater for your pool. The heat exchanger is Cupro-Nickel and the manifold is a heavy duty abs plastic type material and will not rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.