Recommendation for an Above Ground Pool Slide

It is just funny how if you suggest that being 3" out of level over 20' will not mean an imminent collapse of the pool, your post will be deleted, because this site can't promote unsafe practices. These slides are clearly unsafe. Intex doesn't allow jumping into the pool.

The original poster has a 54", 15,000 gallon non-Intex pool and asked for slide suggestions with pictures. That's what they got. I don't have an Intex and the pictures helped me. I could be wrong as I am in no way whatsoever a TFP representative, but I don't see how TFP can be beholden to policing every manufacturer's approved usage. There's an area in which people need to consider their own particular circumstances. However, in the world of physics, it's universally accepted that ANY above ground pool more than 3" out of level is going to have compromised stability. Will every one fail? Perhaps not, but it's industry accepted that the laws of physics scream it's a bad idea.

If it helps any, I will wholeheartedly agree with you- if that pool were 3" out of level, that would be a horribly unsafe slide! :)

It might be worth an empirical look. There's a consistently large percentage of new pool owners posting and asking about out of level pools and whether or not it is safe, along with boatloads of posts about emptying and re-leveling, and many about failures due to leveling. Been there. It's a really big deal for new pool owners and the basics of TFP, and the responses here reflect that honestly. On the other hand, how many questions about the safety of AGP (or Intex) pool slides do you see, or anecdotal evidence of pool failures or problems due to the same? The perceived lack of response may be due to the lack of a real issue.

Just because Intex "doesn't allow jumping" doesn't mean it is actually unsafe, it means they don't want to carry the responsibility. If it were a big pool safety issue, it'd be pretty obvious in evidence by now. The crickets say something. Leveling, on the other hand, is a very frequent, real problem for many, across pool types.

Reactions: Zedhead
It might be worth an empirical look. There's a consistently large percentage of new pool owners posting and asking about out of level pools and whether or not it is safe, along with boatloads of posts about emptying and re-leveling, and many about failures due to leveling. Been there. It's a really big deal for new pool owners and the basics of TFP, and the responses here reflect that honestly. On the other hand, how many questions about the safety of AGP (or Intex) pool slides do you see, or anecdotal evidence of pool failures or problems due to the same? The perceived lack of response may be due to the lack of a real issue.

Just because Intex "doesn't allow jumping" doesn't mean it is actually unsafe, it means they don't want to carry the responsibility. If it were a big pool safety issue, it'd be pretty obvious in evidence by now. The crickets say something. Leveling, on the other hand, is a very frequent, real problem for many, across pool types.

It is called tribal knowledge. People keep reposting the same statements until they become fact. Show me two examples of an Intex pool collapsing from being 2" - 3" out of level. Should be easy since it happens so often.
People don't post about slides too often because they are obviously dangerous. I don't see too many post about diving boards into an Intex pool, so with your logic diving boards in to an Intex pool must also be safe.

FWIW, I tend to agree with 1380ken. There's a thread in "Agree to Disagree" titled "diving in 3' of water". To quote from that thread,

"The rules are for the unskilled tho, not for the skilled. A lifeguard often does not know a person's swimming skill level, and even if they do, selectively enforcing rules is a recipe for disaster."

There's a reason that slide manufacturers have stated "sliding envelopes", just as diving boards require "diving envelopes". While it's possible to safely slide into a pool with dimensions that do not meet sliding envelope, there's a point where the risks outweigh the benefits. Just my two cents!!

been using a slide for 2 years now with my intex 16x48. no problems at all. we angled the slide so that the kids do not go deep enough but at the same time gives them a good ride. its a regular playground from lowes. as far as sliding without water, the kids keep it wet and even without the water the slide is slippery enough so its not a factor. here is a pic:[attachment=2:1aql5gf3]37158.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3][attachment=1:1aql5gf3]21520.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3][attachment=0:1aql5gf3]10037.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3]

Haaa. I was about to link to your thread but you are already here!

well, I am going to put my 2 cents worth into this conversation. First, I can say from experience that all you have to do is set a dedicated water line from your return line to the top of the slide to take care of any issues one might have with sticking to the slide. And second, as long as you are not shooting off the slide vertically or part there of you should be fine with a 48" to 54" depth from a horizontal drop off said slide. Personally, I am looking for a self standing double spiral slide, with no steps or ladder. I want to build a deck off the back of the slide entrance and add steps up to it off the deck. But I am still looking for the right setup. Adding a dedicated water line is simple, just takes a little planning. Good Luck !!!

I found this one a water slide installation instructions for DIY water slide:
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/images/supplies/BYOS_Assembly_&_Installation_Manual.pdf

BYOS = build your own slide & it appears you can buy slide components from them.

WATER SAFETY ENVELOPE:A minimum water depth of three feet (3') under the exitof the slide which increases to a depth of four feet (4')at point A which is located four feet six inches (4'6")from the back wall of the pool. A minimum depth offour feet (4') must be maintained at a distance of ninefeet (9') along the centerline of the slide from point A.The above described water depth profile shall extend aminimum of three feet three inches (3'3") on eitherside of the centerline of the slide.(See Diagrams A, B & C)

It also shows that you should sit straight up & not go head first down the slide & other disclaimers.

If I can pick one up on CL that is an intended pool slide, I'm going that route over a DIY project. I also have no deck yet so I can design around the slide for maximum convenience. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
been using a slide for 2 years now with my intex 16x48. no problems at all. we angled the slide so that the kids do not go deep enough but at the same time gives them a good ride. its a regular playground from lowes. as far as sliding without water, the kids keep it wet and even without the water the slide is slippery enough so its not a factor. here is a pic:[attachment=2:1aql5gf3]37158.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3][attachment=1:1aql5gf3]21520.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3][attachment=0:1aql5gf3]10037.jpg[/attachment:1aql5gf3]

I am new to the forum. Can u repost these pics I have an above ground pool no deck and would love a slide

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.