Recent pool owner with algae problems in Phoenix AZ

That is exactly what I have been doing. Yet when I put it back in the regular position and turn on the pump, the pool is so bad that in 10 minutes you cant even see through 1 foot of water. I had the sand changed and it made no difference.

The Haboob already stated 5 minutes ago and the pool is now full of fine desert dust and leaves. I assume that raises the pH :)
The good looking pool lasted 6 hours and I didnt even get to swim in it..

Last edited:
There are several o-ring seals in push-pull style backwash valve. My guess is that they have probably gone bad and you are getting a leak through there. The valve needs to be disassembled and inspected for damage.

Not having a rinse feature on the sand filter means that you’re likely to get some dirty water back into the pool when backwashing. Sand filters with push-pull valves aren’t as clean to run as filters with true multi-port valves. Typically with a sand filter, it’s preferable to backwash the filter and then rinse the filter prior to putting back into service. The rinse feature helps to clear any dirty water that maybe in the line.

Then again, sand filters are a poor choice for pools in the desert. They waste huge amounts of water. Cartridge filters are a better choice.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The push pull plunger and O rings were replaced 6 months ago after the old one ceased.
Is there a way of rinsing my system?

Then I would check them again because it’s pretty obvious from what you are describing that the valve is not working properly.

No. You need a multiport valve to do a rinse.

Reactions: jeffchap
Then I would check them again because it’s pretty obvious from what you are describing that the valve is not working properly.

No. You need a multiport valve to do a rinse.
The valve is completely fine. The waste water was very dirty out of the waste pipe for several minutes. After the waste water cleared up I tried a different technique, switching the valve direction and also motor on and off several times to try to clear any remaining out. I suspect such a primitive solution can never give a perfect result. The pool is not so bad this time, it will probably clear up again if I run the filter over night.

Quick update and last post for a while. The pool this morning is crystal clear and no algae. One thing I have been guilty of is not running the filter pump for long enough to save on electricity costs. This probably cost me much more on chemicals as well as poorer results. I will for correct this in future.
Next doors pool is clear all the time. They run their pump at least 12 hours a day and their pool service somehow gets away with only coming by with chemicals once every 2 weeks!

Dunno how they chlorinate. They could have a SWCG. Those are pretty hands-off. If they’re using tablets then eventually they’ll need to swap out water.

Pool is doing great with half gallon LC a night. I am also going to use the tabs up 1 per week in the floater.

I wondered how much muriatic acid other people are using on average for our water here in Phoenix?
I am thinking around a gallon a month so if this sounds right I will buy enough for 3 months. (10000 gallon pool)

Does anybody ever add any pool salt directly to their pool?

This is the link:
I hate to tell you but the rule of thumb cited by poolurchin.com for dosing with muriatic acid is one QUART per 10,000 gallons, not one Gallon per 10,000 gallons! But it's bad advice either way.
Plus they have so much else wrong, I wouldn't know where to begin (i.e. acid raises alkalinity). Stick with TFP advice only, mixing and matching never works.

Also they do not say if it is 1 quart per week or month or. So not much use at all.
But I am very curious the amount of MA everyone else is using here.
I asked around and on average the neighbors are using 2 pints of MA a month which means I have been using about double for quite some time.
They do use more after a dust storm when the pool fills with dust and leaves raising alkalinity.
The other interesting thing is that my test strips seem to get closer to the test kit pH when they dry off after an hour or so.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Much of it relies on your fill water so though it may sound cliche, it really does depend on your pool. My TA was high…so I have been adding MA pretty much weekly to bring pH down while not sweating my TA while it slowly goes down. There is no set amount for all pools…it is based off of your pool.

Pool is doing great with half gallon LC a night. I am also going to use the tabs up 1 per week in the floater.

I wondered how much muriatic acid other people are using on average for our water here in Phoenix?
I am thinking around a gallon a month so if this sounds right I will buy enough for 3 months. (10000 gallon pool)

Does anybody ever add any pool salt directly to their pool?
I go through roughly 1 gallon per month of the 31.45% acid from the pool store, sometimes more.

I don't understand your last question about salt, can you elaborate? I never have added salt since I originally installed my swcg since the salt level only ever goes up since we get so little rainfall here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.