Rebuilding Hayward PSX Valves, part questions...

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
Ran my spa today and was surprised to find the water level 4" below the tile. Worked the problem and discovered that the return side PSX valve (PSV3S2 with GVA-24 on top) is leaking and allowing hot water to return to the pool (single pump system). So, seems I need to rebuild that valve, and since it's been 10 years I'm planning to rebuild the intake valve as well (same parts).

The OEM rebuild kit (PSXVBCA) runs around $96... cheapest price seems to be $79 on Amazon. That's not terrible, but seems wasteful since I really just need the key and the o-rings (valve body and cover are fine, GVA-24 doesn't need a handle). I can't find just the OEM keys but Amazon has a replacement from "ATIE" that are sold in two packs for $29.95. Two questions I'm looking for help with:

1) Does anyone have experience with the ATIE replacement key? Amazon reviews seem positive, but that doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of life expectancy.

2) Does anyone know the dimensions of the larger o-ring in the PSV3S2? The smaller o-rings are #13 (7/8 in. OD x 11/16 in. ID x 3/32 in. wall) but I cant find anything on the larger o-ring.

3) Should I just buy the Hayward o-ring kit (PSXVZ2A) and not buy the o-rings separately? The kit is $38 for 2... I can buy 10 packs of #13 rings for less than $4, but not sure if there's something about the OEM rings that makes them better (chlorine resistance, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Rick

I had a busted little ring at the end of the season and I found These The valve wasn't the critical one air locking the main drain, so I didn't rabbit hole it for proper fit, but it's on my spring to-do list.

Keep us (me) posted. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.