LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This time of the year we frequently see users needing to replace their pumps or motors after a long winter. Because of the Energy savings associated with these pumps many power companies will give users who replace a single speed pump with a variable speed pump while some offers rebates for 2-speed pumps. Below is a list by state of rebates various power companies offer. Many of these offers change frequently so if you happen to see one that has changed or if I've missed any please feel free to let me know and I'll update this list.

Hope this helps TFP members save some money!!

Arizona
Tucson Electric Power—$195
UniSource Energy Source--$295

California
City of Burbank—$400
City of Riverside—$200
Glendale Water & Power—$125
LA Department of Water and Power--Up to $1000
Roseville Electric—$200
Sacramento Municipal Utility District—$350
Southern California Edison—$200

Florida
Gulf Power—$400 for a new heat pump
Lakeland Electric—$200
Tampa Electric (TECO)—$350

Hawaii
Hawaii Energy—$125

Illinois
ComEd—$275

Indiana
I&M--$200

Kentucky
Duke Energy —$300

Maryland
Baltimore Gas & Electric—$150 for 2speed or $400 for VSP
Delmarva Power—$150 for 2speed or $400 for VSP
PEPCO—$150 for 2speed or $400 for VSP
Potomac Edison—$150 for 2speed or $400 for VSP
SMECO—$150 for 2speed or $400 for VSP

Michigan
Efficiency United--$200
Lansing Board of Water & Light--$250

Missouri
Ameren Missouri Residential Electric --$350

Minnesota
Connexus Energy--$200

Nevada
NV Energy--$220

New Mexico
PNM--$300

New York
PSEG--$150 for 2speed or $350 for VSP

North Carolina
Duke Energy--$300
South River EMC--$50

Ohio
Duke Energy--$300
Efficiency Smart--$50 for 2speed or $175 for VSP
AEP Ohio--$350

Oregon
Pacific Power--$200
Portland General Electric--$200

Pennsylvania
PECO Electric Utilities--$200
PPL Electric --$350

South Carolina
Duke Energy--$300

Texas
Austin Energy--$300

Vermont
Efficiency Vermont—$600

Last edited:
This time of the year we frequently see users needing to replace their pumps or motors after a long winter. Because of the Energy savings associated with these pumps many power companies will give users who replace a single speed pump with a variable speed pump while some offers rebates for 2-speed pumps. Below is a list by state of rebates various power companies offer. Many of these offers change frequently so if you happen to see one that has changed or if I've missed any please feel free to let me know and I'll update this list.

Arizona
Tucson Electric Power—$100
UniSource Energy Source--$160

California
City of Burbank—$400
City of Riverside—$200
Roseville Electric—$200

Florida
Lakeland Electric—$200

Hawaii
Hawaii Energy—$125

Illinois
ComEd—$275

Indiana
I&M--$200

Kentucky
Duke Energy —$300

Maryland

Michigan
Efficiency United--$200

Missouri

Minnesota
Connexus Energy--$200

New Mexico
PNM--$300

New York

North Carolina
Duke Energy--$300
South River EMC--$50

Ohio
Duke Energy--$300
AEP Ohio--$350

Oregon
Pacific Power--$200

Pennsylvania
PPL Electric --$350

South Carolina
Duke Energy--$300

Texas
Austin Energy--$300

Vermont
Efficiency Vermont—$600

And the winner is....$1000 rebates offered by Los Angeles DWP

Energy Efficiency and Water Conservation Rebates
LADWP offers a variety of rebates and programs for our residential customers (tenants, homeowners, and landlords). As a publicly-owned utility, the LADWP makes these programs available to assist our customers in using energy and water more efficiently as well as saving money and resources while improving our environment.
To assist in your conservation efforts, the LADWP also offers Free Water Conservation Items.
LIMITED TIME OFFER

• Certified Pool Pump Replacement Program – Do you have an in-ground swimming pool filtered with a single-speed pool pump and motor? Have a certified technician replace it with a qualifying energy-efficient variable-speed pool pump and motor and you can get a rebate for up to $1,000!
Variable Speed or Variable Flow Pool Pump and Motor

Must have a California Title 20 qualifying programmable controller unit (built-in or stand-alone). Pool pump and motor must be installed to qualify. For a list of qualifying models, see Qualifying Pool Pump and Motor List. Above ground pools, pool cleaners, boosters, spas, ponds, and decorative fountains do not qualify.

How to apply for the Consumer Rebate Program
$500 per unit
(limit one unit per household)
Certified Pool Pump Replacement Program
Limited time rebate of up to $1,000 for replacing an existing single-speed pool pump with a qualifying variable speed pool pump and motor. Qualifying pool pump must be purchased, installed, and calibrated by a certified aquatic equipment installer. For a list of qualifying models, see Qualifying Pool Pump and Motor List. Above ground pools, pool cleaners, boosters, spas, ponds, and decorative fountains do not qualify.
For more information, go to the Certified Pool Pump Replacement Program.
Up to $1,000
(limit one unit per household)

Unfortunately, where I live (Chapel Hill, North Carolina), the rebate is dependent upn having the pump installed by one of Duke Power's "approved" installers. The money you get from the rebate ($300) is more than offset by their outrageous costs to install the pump (up to $1000)!

Arizona
Tucson Electric Power—$100
UniSource Energy Source--$160

California
City of Burbank—$400
City of Riverside—$200
LA Department of Water and Power--Up to $1000
Roseville Electric—$200

Florida
Lakeland Electric—$200

Hawaii
Hawaii Energy—$125

Illinois
ComEd—$275

Indiana
I&M--$200

Kentucky
Duke Energy —$300

Maryland

Michigan
Efficiency United--$200

Missouri

Minnesota
Connexus Energy--$200

New Mexico
PNM--$300

New York

North Carolina
Duke Energy--$300
South River EMC--$50

Ohio
Duke Energy--$300
AEP Ohio--$350

Oregon
Pacific Power--$200

Pennsylvania
PPL Electric --$350

South Carolina
Duke Energy--$300

Texas
Austin Energy--$300

Vermont
Efficiency Vermont—$600
You need to check your upload font. Looks like it is not universal enough. I see a lot of "a"s with a carat on top and the graphic symbol for Euro currency.

The question of variable speed pumps intrigues me because on the surface, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd say I'm not an engineer, but actually I am an engineer. Yet I still don't understand. Help with out with an explanation or a reference to an explanation.

I understand that pump curves are non-linear, but I'll ignore that aspect of the question to keep it simple.

Assume ...

1. I have to move 1,000 gallons of water to filter and clean it.
2. I can do it over 10 hours or I can double the rate and do it over 5 hours.
3. If I have a pump sized such that it's most efficient at 100 gal/hr, shouldn't I run the pump for 10 hours? If I have a pump that is most efficient at 20 gal/hr, shouldn't I run it for 5 hours?
4. If I have a variable speed pump, it is going to be MOST efficient at one particular speed. Shouldn't I run it at its most efficient speed all the time it runs?
5. If I have a variable speed pump, isn't it still going to be less efficient at all but one particular speed? After all, I'm just trying to move 1,000 gallons of water.

I currently have a variable speed pump with two speeds - "on" and "off". Where's the big savings by moving it to a point on its curve where its efficiency drops?

I asked all this of our power company (Arizona Public Service) and best answer I could get is "Well, that's what they say."

Pumps follow the affinity law.

Flow is directly proportional to the pump speed or impeller diameter. Double the pump speed or impeller diameter and your flow doubles. Triple the pump speed or impeller diameter and your flow triples.

Pressure is related to the square of the pump speed or impeller diameter change. Double the flow and pressure is 4 times. Triple the flow and pressure is 9 times.

Power used is proportional to the cube of the pump speed or impeller diameter. Double the pump speed or impeller diameter and your power is 8 times. Triple the pump speed or impeller diameter and the power is 27 times.

So, running at 1,150 rpm will move 1/3 the gpm, but will use 1/27th the power.

To move the same amount of water takes 3 times as long but uses 1/27 the power. So, the total energy used is 1/9th.

I thought I would resurrect this thread rather than create a new one since @Leebo has such a nice list of rebate links in the first post... Yah know this should be a sticky like the "Where can I find chlorine" thread!

So, it turns out my local utility district has ended all pool/spa equipment rebates as of Jun 1st "due to the unforeseen and sizeable economic impacts of COVID-19. "
Pool and spa rebate
If you purchased your pump before 31 May you can still get the rebate.

A rebate will be the only way I can justify changing my pool pumps. I just put in a new pump motor last season, (I replaced it with the same single speed I had before, it was all I could find at that time and in my budget). At the current prices I see for VS motor upgrades and based on my usage it will take somewhere around 4 years to break even. Even longer if I get a whole new pump. That should be right around the time I'll be ready for a new pump motor. ... unless I win the lottery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone have experience with Duke Energy giving rebates for self install? I know online it states that it needs to be an "approved contractor" but I also had a duke employee tell me that didn't matter. Would be nice to know upfront....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.