Rebar stain - OK to cover over?

Jan 28, 2014
Austin, TX
I'm trying to get a rebar stain fixed. Contractor says that cutting out the bad stuff, versus just installing mosaic tiles over the top to cover, would have similar cost, and they're recommending the tiles rather than the real fix. Is this OK? I thought that the rusting rebar would eventually lead to the rebar swelling and causing concrete chipping off (like you see on old bridge abutments and stuff).

Second, they're asking for $2K for either approach. That seems much higher than I've seen other folks here mention. Is this suddenly high due to to inflation, or is it a local thing (in Austin) or something?

I would cut the rusting rebar out. Rusting is like cancer and if you don’t remove it the cancer can spread. You just don’t know what covering it up can lead to.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a rebar stain fixed. Contractor says that cutting out the bad stuff, versus just installing mosaic tiles over the top to cover, would have similar cost, and they're recommending the tiles rather than the real fix. Is this OK? I thought that the rusting rebar would eventually lead to the rebar swelling and causing concrete chipping off (like you see on old bridge abutments and stuff).

Second, they're asking for $2K for either approach. That seems much higher than I've seen other folks here mention. Is this suddenly high due to to inflation, or is it a local thing (in Austin) or something?
Cut it out. If you don't you will have continuing problems.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.