reagent safety, precautions, and disposal

robstar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I assume chemical manufacturers and distributors are required to write fairly conservative warnings on their products, but... just how cautious should we be re: incidental reagent contact?

That is, i've noticed that for "eye and skin contact" some (TF-100 test kit) reagents say "treat symptoms as needed" and others simply say "seek medical attention" -- for the latter, does that mean that a few drops of skin contact is A Big Deal or is it only eye contact that warrants calling poison control/doc?

I realize there are a broad set of chemicals involved, so maybe the question is "have y'all ever sought medical attention involving reagents?"

(follow-up question: in test quantities, are all the reagents disposable via residential sewer systems, or should we be collecting some of them and taking them to hazmat disposal facilities?)

I’ve never had any issues with the reagents ....... In normal use they should not contact you at all. If you get a drop or two on your skin simply wash with soap and water, you’ll be fine.

While I don’t see how it could happen, if you accidentally confuse your R-871 with your bottle of eye drops I would seek medical attention immediately.

With the exception of the CYA test, I do my testing indoors, and dump the sample down the drain when finished.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.