Silver Supporter
Jan 11, 2022
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, I need to replenish some of my reagents as they expire this summer. I’m trying to it cost effectively.

I’m using the Taylor 2006-c

only 870, 871, and 004 have ‘23 exp dates the rest expire next spring.

On tf test kits those 3 cost about 30 bucks but if I do The whole refill kit now it’s 52. On one hand it’s more cost effective to get the whole kit but on the other I don’t want to over spend and be paying for more product that will only last one season.

What do you think?

What do you think?
With the cost of pool equipment and chemicals being what they are, the cost of a SLAM, or other damage caused because my testing, and chemical additions were wrong due to bad reagents...the cost of buying reagents every year for $50 is worth the insurance to me...YMMV

and be paying for more product that will only last one season.
The reagents have a shelf life of 2 years if stored properly. The stuff from tftestkits is always fresh as well so you’ll likely be able to get the full 2 years from date of purchase out of them.

Reactions: HermanTX
With the cost of pool equipment and chemicals being what they are, the cost of a SLAM, or other damage caused because my testing, and chemical additions were wrong due to bad reagents...the cost of buying reagents every year for $50 is worth the insurance to me...YMMV
I’m not sure I phrased my question right. I have no issues with buying the reagents. I just wanted an opinion to buy the whole set now or if I should buy just the ones that will expire in 2 months.

The reagents have a shelf life of 2 years if stored properly. The stuff from tftestkits is always fresh as well so you’ll likely be able to get the full 2 years from date of purchase out of them.

The kit I have was always kept in doors so know they are still good right now.

I guess I might as well get the whole kit as I should be able to get two seasons out of it.

I just wanted an opinion to buy the whole set now or if I should buy just the ones that will expire in 2 months.

The TFTestkits price structure makes it difficult to justify getting only a few reagents. Buy the whole set.

If you like, you can keep using your old non-expired reagents until they run out or expire. Even if that means you'll only be able to use the new reagents for a short time before they too expire, you'll still save money overall.

And next year, buy the full refill in March when TFTestkits has its 20%-off sale.

Do you have enough of all the reagents (including the ones with an expiry in 2 months) to get you thru this swim season?
If so, chances are that the present reagents will work fine for this season - and you can order a full set of reagents during the TFTestkits Spring sale (March 2024).

Of course, if you get some weird results with the present reagents, you could still replace them at that point.

Do you have enough of all the reagents (including the ones with an expiry in 2 months) to get you thru this swim season?
If so, chances are that the present reagents will work fine for this season - and you can order a full set of reagents during the TFTestkits Spring sale (March 2024).

Of course, if you get some weird results with the present reagents, you could still replace them at that point.
Thanks, I think the only one I would run out of is the powder. My test results so far seem to be fine. No abnormalities. The kit seemed very fresh when I got it last June.

I didn’t know about the March refill discount either.

Thanks, I think the only one I would run out of is the powder. My test results so far seem to be fine. No abnormalities. The kit seemed very fresh when I got it last June.

I didn’t know about the March refill discount either.
There is usually an email sent out and a forum post about the March refill sale.
I don't remember if it applies to the K-2006 refills or just to the TF-100 and TF-Pro refills.

You could always source just the powder - Amazon, TFTestkits, local. It only needs to last you thru closing time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.