Ready to Convert - am I?

Congratulations!!!

I wouldn't add the entire amount of CYA at once. I would start with 7 lbs for now. It is difficult to lower CYA levels and easy for there to be some error in calculation or measurement. 7 lbs will get you somewhere that will work for now and you can adjust it more precisely when you get back.

I would just pour the CYA slowly into the skimmer (after you replace the sand) and then don't backwash for a week or more.

Got it, thanks AGAIN!

Here are this morning's pictures (again from my cell phone so the resolution and brightness is not so good). When my daughter comes home from camp we'll take some good ones.

5 Days since I started my conversion:
[attachment=2:3vpr0gra]Day5-700AM-b.jpg[/attachment:3vpr0gra]
[attachment=1:3vpr0gra]Day5-700AM-c.jpg[/attachment:3vpr0gra]
[attachment=0:3vpr0gra]Day5-700AM-d.jpg[/attachment:3vpr0gra]

Attachments

• Day5-700AM-b.jpg
    Day5-700AM-b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Day5-700AM-c.jpg
    Day5-700AM-c.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Day5-700AM-d.jpg
    Day5-700AM-d.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 340
Shelley N said:
Um Dabuddy...I think I see a contact lens on the bottom in the deep end... :lol:

Isn't it just wonderful; I can't believe it is so CLEAR! I've read a lot of posts from everyone in here and what they have to say after they've converted in that their water was much clearer but until you experience first hand you can only really appreciate part of what they are talking about! I mean, I always THOUGHT my pool was clear but even the BEST day with Baquacil doesn't compare to this - not even close!

I can't wait to have my party and take in the comments from my guests! Thanks again everyone for your expert help!

Update:

Changed my sand today, 300 pounds was a killer! Used a shop vac so it went pretty good. Added 7 lbs of CYA via the skimmer. The water and sand mixture in there was NASTY! Cleaned all the Baqua-gunk from the inner parts and pipes that I could get to.

My FC is 4.5 right now, QUESTION: should I shock again tonight? My CC was 0.5 this morning and is 1.0 right now (what would cause it to go up?).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you should shock. You should shock any time CC is above 0.5. For the next week or two, having CC go above 0.5 may be fairly common. There is still some baq goo here and there in the pipes. It will very slowly oxidize, temporarily creating CC. Eventually the last of it will oxidize and you won't have that problem any more.

It might help to keep your FC level a little higher than you otherwise might, closer to 7 than to 5, for a week or two. That will speed up the breakdown of CC.

Numbers held well last night:

9:30 PM added 5.0 gallons

Reading at 10:00 PM
TC: 15.5
FC: 14.5
CC: 1.0
pH: 7.4

Reading at 6:20 AM
9 hours and 20 minutes after adding bleach

TC: 14.5
FC: 14.0
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.4

Reading at 10:20 AM
13 hours and 20 minutes after adding bleach

TC: 13.5
FC: 13.0
pH: 7.3
CYA: 15
TA: 130
CH: didn't test
Temp: 81

TA is gone up 10, pH is down 0.1, would the CYA I added do this?

If you are running the pump 24x7 then you can put trichlor pucks in the skimmer. The advantage of a floater is that it is more effective should the pump fail for any reason. That probably isn't likely, but sometimes it is nice to have an extra layer of insurance.

Ok, I bought Swimmers Advantage Super 3" Chlorinating Tablets (Concentrate - Stabilized). They are 99% Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione, 1 % Other. Approximately 90% available chlorine.

Directions say to put 1 super tablet per 6800 gallons of water per week (either floater or skimmer). My pool is 27000 gallons so I am going to place 4 tablets in the skimmer. I'll have my neighbor (not my BIL now) check the skimmer and when they are all gone have him add 4 more. I'll be gone for 11 days. He'll be checking water level and pump and filter operation. I feel much better now. QUESTION: Do I have him check chlorine level and add bleach occassionally? If so, how much and how often?

You can have him check but using tabs your chlorine should be ok. He should however, check the PH at some point because the pucks are acidic and tend to lower ph, so have a little borax on hand in case it needs a bump. Be sure to have him keep an eye on that, low ph can cause problems with your pool equipment. If he tests for FC mid week and it's below the minimum he can dump in a jug of bleach, won't hurt. The pucks should hold it tho.

frustratedpoolmom said:
You can have him check but using tabs your chlorine should be ok. He should however, check the PH at some point because the pucks are acidic and tend to lower ph, so have a little borax on hand in case it needs a bump. Be sure to have him keep an eye on that, low ph can cause problems with your pool equipment. If he tests for FC mid week and it's below the minimum he can dump in a jug of bleach, won't hurt. The pucks should hold it tho.

Got it. I already have borax on hand. Thanks!

Ok, back from vacation - HOORAY! I was in eastern Canada for the last 12 days and we experienced record rain. It was mid to upper 80s, in Grand Rapids while we were away so we missed all the hot pool weather here.

Well, my neighbor did a wonderful job looking after the pool. I rewarded him with a big jug of Crown Royal - he liked that!!

Pool is still crystal clear - I am SO happy! I only had him use pucks and add when they were gone. He added water once. My readings at 3:30 PM this afternoon:

TC: 4.5
FC: 4.0
pH: 7.2
CYA: 60
TA: 120
CH: 200
Temp: 78

I was wondering if I should shock tonight since there is 0.5 CC? Pool calculator tells me shock level is 18 - do I add the 6.5 gallons of bleach to bring it from 4 to 18? My kids want to swim tomorrow all day so I need to consider that. If I don't shock, should I get my FC to 7 tonight knowing my FC will drop a couple of ppm during the day so they CAN swim tomorrow? There is about 1/2 of 1 puck left in the skimmer. My neighbor was putting 4 in at a time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.