Reactivate an old thread or start a new one?

RespiteFL

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2023
Inverness, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I keep running across great content already discussed in a forum and I have more questions. It seems more efficient to just reactivate the threat by posting. But, I see this message at the bottom of the thread And it's throwing me off. I want to be a good member. What's the proper protocol?

1692101500735.png

The reason given in the message is the biggest reason. We have always tried to weed out potential forum spammers and such to keep your experience here clean.

They seem to have a propensity to try and sneak stuff into older threads.

The way TFP has always operated is that most threads are specific to a particular pool and/or situation. You may find yourself in a similar situation but your pool, location, chemistry history, etc are different and it is easier for us to help you if you have your own thread than to try parsing out which comment is directed at which situation in an old thread. This also has the benefit of not having to look at the date to make sure we aren't replying to a post from over a decade ago.

If you have a question you feel is extremely related to a previous thread then the best option is to start your own thread and link to the old one for reference. You may find that the previous post has less in common with your situation than you thought and are glad you aren't muddying the waters (pun intended) by having multiple unrelated conversations going on in a single thread.

As someone who deletes or moves resurrected posts, many times I click on the member who was quoted and they haven't visited in years. If it's an 'old' thread from 2020, chances are the regulars who contributed are still around, but still also chances are the OP was a 'one and done' and hasn't been back since.

Some of the regulars go back much further and are still here, but you're reentering a conversation that they had many years ago. Imagine somebody new dragging up a conversation you had with friends 5-10 years ago. You wouldn't even remember it, but the new person just read your convo and expects you to jump right back into it. They then need to go reread the advice the gave someone else to see if it even aged well, or relates to you.

It's also against common etiquette to steal someone else's thunder. They were here for their problem and you've made it your problem by joining their thread.

It's best for all to start a new thread with your issues/questions, and tag anyone you feel may help, be it a regular or an OP. Anyone still around will see the mention and jump in if they have thoughts. Anyone not around won't see it, and no harm done that you mentioned them.

You can always copy/paste the URL from the discussion you viewed into your post for context, and to jar everyone's memory who was part of it if they're still around.

Instead of reactivating an old thread (one with the warning you posted), start a new thread stating your issue and post a link in your new thread to the old inactive thread (if that old thread is actually relevant). This gives others the option to look or not look at the linked post you posted in your new thread.

Reactivating an old thread (especially if you aren't the original thread starter) is rarely a good option.
Start a new thread in the appropriate forum with your questions/issues instead.

I'd rather see old threaded locked so no further responses can be made after 'x' amount of time.
Also, would be great if moderators moved posts to the appropriate forum instead of just leaving them in the first forum in the forum list.
Both of these would save our moderators a lot of time and provide direction to posters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.