Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

towney said:
Any ideas on life expectancy of filter elements. I have the Starite system 3 with the large one and smaller one. Mine are going on 4 years.

Check out this recent thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/when-to-replace-cartridges-t18803.html

There are a lot of variables, like water chemistry, fighting constant algae blooms, cart maintenance - but if your filter is still good you should be able to go along time in between cleanings. If your pressure is rising and you have to clean more often like every couple of weeks or several days because of that -the filters made need replacing. I can go 6-8 weeks between cleanings on my filter.

My filter is on it's fifth season coming up - the first one lasted 4 years and was fine except my DH accidently put it away one fall in the filter housing without making sure it was completely dry and it began to mildow and rot - so we replaced it.

I bought one of those little brass nozzles as shown and it really works! It really gets the gunk out and my pressures dropped to new filter levels. I highly recommend the use of that little nozzle. Cheapest yet most effective pool accessory I have ever purchased.

Don't use acid to clean a filter cartridge without first cleaning with a degreaser (like TSP or automatic dishwashing detergent). If there is any grease on the filter, acid will solidify it, quite possibly damaging the cartridge.

I am doing the very first "proper cleaning of my cartridges today. I let it soak in the dish water after spraying it off with the nozzle. I'm having trouble getting all of the little gunkies out of the pleats as there is a little left. I then resoaked it in water after rinsing it for 15 minutes with the nozzle. Should I go ahead and use the acid soak if there is still some gunk in the pleats here and there? I don't want to completely kill it as I don't have the money for a new one right now. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I am wondering what exactly you should see happen when you do acid wash? I REALLY hate handling acid and am not sure if nothing really comes out into the water after doing these if that means your cart is useless?
Also 1 part acid 20 parts water, so for 20 gallons thats? I wanna be sure my lameness at math doesn't kill me or anything else :shock:
What do I do with the water after? Can you pour it on the ground?

In most pools acid washing is optional. The point of acid washing is to remove any calcium deposits on the cartridge. If there isn't any calcium, then no point in acid washing.

One gallon of acid to 20 gallons of water gives you 21 gallons of solution.

The cartridge should bubble and foam when put in the acid. When it stops bubbling, or if it never starts, it is time to take it out.

I like to neutralize the acid with baking soda first. Then I pour it down the drain.

I had this post bookmarked and thought the "dishwasher detergent" in the instructions was a bit more specific. I recall using Electrasol last year. It now appears to be called Finish. Will this be adequate? It is lemon scent - could not locate anything else.

Thanks!

Reactions: Staceyleah22

I strongly recommend that you use heavy duty arm length rubber gloves and wear goggles before handling Muriatic acid. Use an over sized plastic container because the neutralizer will take up volume. Put the measured amount of water into the container first MOST IMPORTANT, always add the acid to the water. NEVER add the water to the acid. Ammonia will also neutralize Muriatic acid. Ammonia will react less violently than baking soda. Additionally, I recommend that you use your pool PH Test to affirm that you have neutralized the acid wash look for a PH of 7.0 before you dispose of the solution.

Will soaking in dish washing detergent make it any easier to get all the dirt/sand out of the pleats?

I am currently just using a hose & spreading the pleats with one hand while hitting it with the hose. This is very time consuming.

The hose with nozzle will be your most effective way of removing debris from between the pleats. I usually do that before soaking. Soaking is really to remove the oils and stains in the filter. In fact, if you don't have much of that you can skip the soak which is what I usually do every other cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.