Re-grouting waterline tile

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
The tile around the coping (I think that's the right term) needs to be re-grouted. Haven't noticed any loose tile; all seem to be firmly in place, but the grout shows a great deal of wear. The pool is 25 years old and while it has recently been resurfaced (diamond brite), the coping is original & seems to have held up pretty well. I just want to head off any potential issues at the pass, but haven't the slightest notion about type & kind of grout, or method. Anyone knowledgeable about how to manage this sort of thing? Thanks very much.

Depends what type of grout was used previously and it’s condition. The best way is to scrape out the old grout and then regrout. That is labor intensive to get ready for the regrout.

Best grout is epoxy grout like..

Or more standard grout like...

Depends what type of grout was used previously and it’s condition. The best way is to scrape out the old grout and then regrout. That is labor intensive to get ready for the regrout.

Best grout is epoxy grout like..

Or more standard grout like...

Thanks for your reply. Given the age of the pool, I would bet the original grout is cement based. The present grout is just getting worn down, I think. The tile seems solidly in place, and there are no loose tiles. How bad would it be not to scrape out existing grout, and just clean it up, make debris free, and then regrout?

Thanks for your reply. Given the age of the pool, I would bet the original grout is cement based. The present grout is just getting worn down, I think. The tile seems solidly in place, and there are no loose tiles. How bad would it be not to scrape out existing grout, and just clean it up, make debris free, and then regrout?

The new grout would only be as good as the base it is on. Depends why you have lost the old grout. Is it due to the water chemistry or is the grout crumbling?

The new grout would only be as good as the base it is on. Depends why you have lost the old grout. Is it due to the water chemistry or is the grout crumbling?
Checked, again. No grout is loose or crumbling. It just looks worn. I don't know enough to tell if its from water chemistry. When I brush it, there is some white residue that appears in the water, but nothing crumbling, flaking etc.

You can put another layer on. If it does not last then you move to scraping it all out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.