Rayvac Gas Heater acting up

Jun 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I came out to check on the equipment and chlorine Sunday late and found that my heater was spewing water out the vent fins side. I shut it off and shut off the valves to it and turned off gas. My guy came on Monday and opened up the cabinet and found that the drain plug was loose and. He tighten it back up and fixed the other thing that was leaking (a non related pcv joint). Had to leave pumps off for everything to set overnight. When i turned everything on again Tuesday I got a funky odor and it wasn't gas, and white like smoke coming out of the fins/vent. Freaked me out so I shut off everything again for the heater. My guy said most likely just condensation (we have had rain and it was wet inside from original leak on Sunday) and the odor was most likely leaves and debris that was knocked down into cabinet. Ok so before I go out w/ my phillips head screwdriver and open up the cabinet and shop vac out leaves, etc. any of you brilliant pool people have thoughts as well? I am freakin out about blowing up myself or the heater. The heater is maybe 5 yrs old. Never had any problems with it before and I don't understand how or why the drain plug would work itself loose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.