Raypal P-R406A-EP-C issue with igniter spark

RUID

Jul 9, 2021
Hello, pool and tech-savvy friends. I need advice on diagnosing a spark issue I am having with my pool heater. I have a Raypak P-R406A-EP-C pool heater. The unit is about 8 yrs. old. My unit is the Atmospheric Heater with the Honeywell Millivolt Gas Valve (Model VR8304K4822) and the RobertShaw Millivolt Pilot. When I turn on the unit I am getting a "No Pilot Sensed, Ignition Lockout" error. I've vacuumed and cleaned the inside of the unit thinking that it was dust and spider webs that were causing the issue. I've checked all the gas valves to make sure it is on. I took a look at the pilot as the unit was being turned on and it doesn't appear that I am getting any spark across the igniter/sensor gap. I've then proceeded to verify the PC board for power. I've checked for 24VAC across PV-MV/PV terminal on PC board and I am getting 26VAC when firing up the unit (these two wires I believe send a signal to open the gas valve), so I presume that's ok. I've checked the T1 terminal (ignitor) in PC board and it appears that I am getting 120V. I am not smelling any gas or getting any spark across the igniter/sensor gap. Any ideas what the issue could be?

You seem to be giving conflicting information. The gas valve mod # you gave is not a millivolt gas valve, but an intermittent pilot direct spark ignition gas valve. Does the knob/dial on the gas valve have "off-pilot-on" positions or only "off-on" positions? If only "off-on", then it is not a millivolt gas valve or heater. Photos of the controls and wiring inside and photos of the gas valve label and top with terminals and knob/dial. The gas valve mod # you gave would normally have 3 connection terminals on the valve marked PV-MV/PV-MV. This would make it an intermittent pilot "direct spark" gas valve. If you are not getting a spark on a try for ignition, then either the cicuit containing the electrode (not normally called the ignitor) which creates a spark to the pilot hood is dirty (on either or both sides... electrode/pilot hood) or the control board is putting out no or inadequate voltage to create the spark in that circuit.

You seem to be giving conflicting information. The gas valve mod # you gave is not a millivolt gas valve, but an intermittent pilot direct spark ignition gas valve. Does the knob/dial on the gas valve have "off-pilot-on" positions or only "off-on" positions? If only "off-on", then it is not a millivolt gas valve or heater. Photos of the controls and wiring inside and photos of the gas valve label and top with terminals and knob/dial. The gas valve mod # you gave would normally have 3 connection terminals on the valve marked PV-MV/PV-MV. This would make it an intermittent pilot "direct spark" gas valve. If you are not getting a spark on a try for ignition, then either the cicuit containing the electrode (not normally called the ignitor) which creates a spark to the pilot hood is dirty (on either or both sides... electrode/pilot hood) or the control board is putting out no or inadequate voltage to create the spark in that circuit.
Thank you so much swamprat69. You definitely know your stuff. Apologies for the conflicting information, I would consider myself more of a novice when it comes to electronics and pool heaters. You are correct: (1) the knob/dial on the gas valve only has "off-on" position. (2) the gas valve has 3 connection terminals on the valve marked PV-MV/PV-MV as you mentioned. Your response prompted me to retest the voltage and confirm that the circuit containing the electrode was clean, which it was. I kept getting voltage ranging from 112V when "try for ignition" and 117V when in "lock out". Something told me that I shouldn't be getting voltage when not in "try for ignition" . I proceeded with removing the PC board to take a look at the connection side and sure enough, the board shorted out - some bug decided it was a good idea to live in the space. Thanks again, you saved me from going through the trouble of getting a gas valve. Would you be able to provide a reliable source where I would be able to buy the same board? and does it typically come with the digital display? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 5
This should be the Raypak part number for the board 013464F. Not sure, but don't believe that it comes with the display and bezel. If you google the part number most prices seem to be $245-275. Order from a source that has a good return policy in case there is a problem with the board that you receive, even if it costs slightly more. Be aware of third party seller return policies from normally reliable sources such as Amazon and Walmart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.