RayPak PR336AENX Does NOT turn off when no water is flowing!

May 21, 2021
Dyer,IN
When I turned the pump off (not realizing the heater was running), the heater started to shake and rumble. I quickly turned it off.

I followed the pressure switch adjustment procedure, but it did not work. I replaced the switch - That also did not work.

The control panel used to indicated "Water SW Open." The error does not show up and the heater continues to run, resulting in a loud banging and rumbling.

What in the world should I look at? All posts seem to be about the OPPOSITE problem!

Thanks in advance!!

What type of pool do you have?

Is your pool equipment below the waterline?

If you cannot adjust the water pressure switch to turn off the heater with no flow as described on page 32 of the Installation Manual then you may need to install a flow switch as the manual notes.

I don’t know why it worked before and not now. Has anything changed with your pool or equipment?

If you cannot adjust the water pressure switch to turn off the heater with no flow as described on page 32 of the Installation Manual then you may need to install a flow switch as the manual notes.

I don’t know why it worked before and not now. Has anything changed with your pool or equipment?
No, nothing has changed. I turned the system off in order to clean out the leaf basket off the pump. Turned it back on, and this happened! :-(

You can try replacing the water pressure switch again. Your setup could be putting a lot of stress on the switch causing it to fail.

Is there any way to see if the switch is busted other than running it?
By the way, I just took the leads off and held them together-the heater ran. When I took them apart, it stopped and said it was open. I guess that means it's the switch or something about the environment it's in.

The pressure switch just has an adjustable spring that needs to resist the weight of the water and keep it open when there is no water flow. The setup of your heater below the water line is wearing the spring out prematurely and the switch cannot open to turn the heater off.

You can replace the pressure switch but it will likely fail again. You need to wire in a flow switch as the manual notes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.