Raypak low NOx heater only works if I hot start it, I'm out of my mind, what am I missing?

ferretbone

In The Industry
May 24, 2016
tx
Raypak low NOx

I have replaced the board, the bottom blower, the air switch, checked the air switch wires and hose. Changed the ignition switch/pilot light.

We replaced the relay and checked those wires too.

We checked the gas pressure coming in the heater after the gas valve and it had good pressure when we tested it.

The heater calls for fire, the gas line clicks open, then the pilot sparks, the top blower vent begins running, but not the bottom heater blower. Then the display screen says heating (with no flame up), then faults out with 5 min delay code.

Again The bottom heater blower does not start.

Now if we hot start the air switch with a 12v source, the heater fires up with the bottom and top blower running but does not vent the heat very well even with the bottom blower running and the top blower vent running.

So I steel wire brushed the top of heat exchange (while shop vac'ing the dust) because the heat seemed trapped when we hot started the heater like I said above. Still has the same fault code. I have traced every wire from the air switch to the relay and to the gas valve back to the board. It all looks good to me

All parts installed were new in box.

I haven't hot started the air switch since I cleaned the heater core. But I hot started it twice with two different new air switches. And the burners fired up both times. And stayed running.

The only other info I know for sure is this heater worked fine before. Also I tried another board that I'm 90% plus sure is fine after I replaced the old board and got new problems. It's not the board, or at least it wasn't a week ago. Right now I have the new board installed.

This heater is in an indoor pump room so no signs of bugs or rodents. Any thoughts or tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.