Raypak heater not communicating with new AquaLogic PS-8 GLX-PCB-MAIN

desoto

Feb 26, 2010
SoCal
I just replaced the faulty control board of my AquaLogic PS-8 with the latest GLX-PCB-MAIN. All works well now, except the Raypak heater. The display panel on the heater is now blank, whether I toggle the rocker switch off or on. It should show RemOff or RemOn and the temperature.

The heater rocker switch is always "on", but the PS-8 is used to actually turn it on and off, and set the temperature. I have double-checked that it is connected and seated on the new control board. The PS-8 settings are all the same as they were prior to the board replacement.

I'm wondering if I need to disconnect the heater from the AquaLogic, reset some things, then reconnect. Can anyone explain what could be wrong?

Where is the heater power connected to?

Do you have a multimeter?

Check the heater power at the connections in the heater.

Where is the heater power connected to?

Do you have a multimeter?

Check the heater power at the connections in the heater.
Thank you for your response,ajw22. yes, the heater power is good. Checked w/ multimeter. Display does come on when in spa mode. The heater was orignally connected to AquaLogic PS-8 and controlled via the PS-8. Last week, I put a new main board in the PS-8 (old board was damaged) and reconnected everything. All work fine now, except the heater.
When the pump is running and valves are in spa mode, the heater will display RemOff. I need it to read RemOn so the PS-8 will control it. The manual instructs to press the ^ v & Mode simultaneously for 7 secs to reset. I've tried that multiple times and it will change to RemOn for a nanosecond, but when I release the buttons, it reverts to RemOff.
Could it be that I need to disconnect the heater from th PS-8 (by pulling the connector off the board), resetting the heater, then reconnecting it?

The manual instructs to press the ^ v & Mode simultaneously for 7 secs to reset. I've tried that multiple times and it will change to RemOn for a nanosecond, but when I release the buttons, it reverts to RemOff.

Page 26 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241793.pdf says:

Activating the Remote
To activate or deactivate the remote function:
1. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons for 3 to 5 seconds.
The second line of the display will alternate even when the unit is off (“No Demand”).

Could it be that I need to disconnect the heater from th PS-8 (by pulling the connector off the board), resetting the heater, then reconnecting it?

No.

Thank you for your response,ajw22. yes, the heater power is good. Checked w/ multimeter. Display does come on when in spa mode. The heater was orignally connected to AquaLogic PS-8 and controlled via the PS-8. Last week, I put a new main board in the PS-8 (old board was damaged) and reconnected everything. All work fine now, except the heater.
When the pump is running and valves are in spa mode, the heater will display RemOff. I need it to read RemOn so the PS-8 will control it. The manual instructs to press the ^ v & Mode simultaneously for 7 secs to reset. I've tried that multiple times and it will change to RemOn for a nanosecond, but when I release the buttons, it reverts to RemOff.
It never hurts to try something like that, but be sure the power is off when you remove it. Then, turn the power on. It may do nothing, but you need the panel open for the next test. Since the heater is now in remote mode, it may do nothing as the board will probably be looking for a signal at that connector, but give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the 2-conductor wire that goes to the automation and connect the two wires at the board (blue with black and orange or blue with orange and black which ever you have already been using). You have just done what the automation does, completed the control circuit. It may allow the heater to light up and give control back at the heater panel. If it doesn't, it sounds like the heater control board is damaged.

If you do get control, set both the pool and spa temperature for 104, put it back in remote mode, reconnect and twist the other end of the automation wires together and try to fire the heater to be sure there is no problem in that wire. Rodent damage is a very common problem with those wires. If the heater lights with the wires connected, un-twist, reconnect to the automation and you should be good as long as that end of the wire is connected to the "Heater 1" connector at the board. Its easy to mis-wire at the board. If it doesn't work, the problem would be in the Aqua Logic, maybe as simple as a bad water temperature sensor.

It never hurts to try something like that, but be sure the power is off when you remove it. Then, turn the power on. It may do nothing, but you need the panel open for the next test. Since the heater is now in remote mode, it may do nothing as the board will probably be looking for a signal at that connector, but give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the 2-conductor wire that goes to the automation and connect the two wires at the board (blue with black and orange or blue with orange and black which ever you have already been using). You have just done what the automation does, completed the control circuit. It may allow the heater to light up and give control back at the heater panel. If it doesn't, it sounds like the heater control board is damaged.

If you do get control, set both the pool and spa temperature for 104, put it back in remote mode, reconnect and twist the other end of the automation wires together and try to fire the heater to be sure there is no problem in that wire. Rodent damage is a very common problem with those wires. If the heater lights with the wires connected, un-twist, reconnect to the automation and you should be good as long as that end of the wire is connected to the "Heater 1" connector at the board. Its easy to mis-wire at the board. If it doesn't work, the problem would be in the Aqua Logic, maybe as simple as a bad water temperature sensor.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ended up out of town all week. Really appreciated your detailed response. I will try connecting the wires as you suggest once the rain stops. I did get to visually inspect the wiring between the heater and the automation, and found 3 spots where a rodent chewed the wires! That is most likely the problem as currently, there is no display on the heater. Go figure!

Thank you for your suggestions. I will post the results soon.

Page 26 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241793.pdf says:

Activating the Remote
To activate or deactivate the remote function:
1. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons for 3 to 5 seconds.
The second line of the display will alternate even when the unit is off (“No Demand”).

No.
Just returned from out of town to find there is no display on the heater, so pressing buttons does nothing at this time. But, thank you for replying. My heater is a much earlier version, so up, down, and mode need to all be pressed and held at the same time (per my manual). Glad that's been changed for the later models as it is hard to manage all 3 buttons at once. I hope to proceed with 1poolman1 suggestions above once the rain stops.

The heater now works! I checked the continuity (wiring from heater to control panel). It turns out that rodent damage to the wiring was the culprit. Pretty easy fix. Thank you so much for everyone's responses, and especially 1poolman1's suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.