Raypak Avia issues

May 20, 2018
Fort Worth Texas
I have a brand new Avia 406 heater, worked ok for 1 week now getting ignition failure, and it won’t light.
Installer thinks it’s the gas supply ? I never had trouble with my old raypak 406 ( the black one )
The gas company came out and changed out the meter, after that it worked for 2 hours.
then no ignition . The run from gas meter is long maybe 100 feet and the pipe is from 1970. But all of the other gas appliances work fine.
The gas company guy said that they could convert the service to what they call a 2LB system, they replace the meter.
but I have to have a plumber install 2LB regulators on all my appliances.
Or could the new heater by defective ??
this thing was $ 5k so iam kinda freaking out ..
any ideas on what to try next would be apreaceated.

The run from gas meter is long maybe 100 feet and the pipe is from 1970.
1-1/4" is good up to a "Total Equivalent Length" of 95 feet.

Over 95 feet, you should have 1-1/2" pipe.

What size is the pipe?

How many 90s are there?

The pressure drop from static to dynamic should not be more than about 1" w.c.

The pressure needs to remain in the range given by the manual of 3.5" to 10.5" w.c.

I would always have at least a 1" w.c margin, so keep the range in the 4.5" w.c to 9.5" w.c range.

Don't guess about the pressure, test.
1710694311942.png

The Total Equivalent length is the length of straight pipe plus about 3.45 feet per 90 (for 1-1/4" pipe).

For example, if you have 100 feet of 1-1/4" straight pipe and (7) 90s, then you have to add 100 + (7 x 3.45) = 124.15 total equivalent feet.

1710694717966.png

The Installer needs to figure it out.

Why are they guessing and not testing?

The gas supply needs to be tested for pressure before firing and during firing.

Is the installer a licensed gas contractor?
We have installed 4 Raypak Avia with zero issues.I agree with @JamesW I am apt to believe it is not the heater itself but the install more than likely.Its always possible.

Raypak Avia are their best heaters and if it is the unit itself they should honor the warranty(if it was installed by a licensed individual).Those heaters have only been available in the last two or three years so it can’t be that old.

It’s working perfect now 2 days after getting a new gas meter installed.
Guess that was the issue , man this thing heats fast !!
Has anybody hooked up the jandy valves to the heater to use the raymote app to control them, I read the instructions but not sure what I need to get except for actuators for the valves .

It’s working perfect now 2 days after getting a new gas meter installed.
Guess that was the issue , man this thing heats fast !!
Has anybody hooked up the jandy valves to the heater to use the raymote app to control them, I read the instructions but not sure what I need to get except for actuators for the valves .
I would recommend posting pictures of your equipment pad/area and taking shots of any information labels on your individual pieces of equipment and plumbing.
This will greatly help anybody here to help you further with any questions or advice you may need.

I have a brand new Avia 406 heater, worked ok for 1 week now getting ignition failure, and it won’t light.
Installer thinks it’s the gas supply ? I never had trouble with my old raypak 406 ( the black one )
The gas company came out and changed out the meter, after that it worked for 2 hours.
then no ignition . The run from gas meter is long maybe 100 feet and the pipe is from 1970. But all of the other gas appliances work fine.
The gas company guy said that they could convert the service to what they call a 2LB system, they replace the meter.
but I have to have a plumber install 2LB regulators on all my appliances.
Or could the new heater by defective ??
this thing was $ 5k so iam kinda freaking out ..
any ideas on what to try next would be apreaceated.
Has anyone checked for gas at the heater itself with a manometer?
A 50-year old gas line could have water in it.
If there is water in the line, the very low pressure will force it toward the heater until it comes to an elbow where it will pool and block flow. It needs to be disconnected at both the meter and the heater and air blown through it and then may need replacing after a leak check.
Don't stand at the open end or you could get very messy with rust that doesn't always wash out of clothing.

Last edited: