Raypak 406A not igniting.

OBP

Jan 26, 2022
San Diego County
Hi Everyone. I have a Raypak heater that is not igniting when calling for heat. I can hear the spark, but no flame afterward. My best guess is the pilot orifice is dirty, or there is air stuck in the propane line. The worst part is the display is wrecked so I can't see if there are any error codes displayed. I'm reaching out for help because I am not very familiar with Raypak heaters. Where should I start, and what things should I be checking? Looking forward to hearing from everyone. TIA

Read RayPak Heaters - Further Reading

Post pics of your heater with the panels off and show us how much dirt and corrosion is on it.

How full is your propane tank and have you confirmed its gauge is correct?

If the burners are well rusted and the display is bad it may not be economical to repair it.

Try cleaning the orifices and gas burners.

Also check your gas pressure with a manometer

Is that a millivolt heater? Check the pilot assembly.

@swamprat69 may have thoughts when he views the pics.

Just back from visit with grandkids. Heater seems to have spark ignited pilot. Gas valve knob would only be labeled "on/off". There would need to be an ignition control/circuit board to regulate pilot, pilot proving and burners. This seems to be the manual for the heater https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241236.pdf . This seems to be the circuit board/controller for the heater ORIGINAL Raypak Pool & Spa Heater PC Board Controller 100-10000345 013464F . The problems lighting off could be due to a weak pilot spark due to dirt/corrosion of the pilot assembly, insufficient pilot flame pressure due to restriction of pilot orifice or insufficient pilot flame supply pressure "propane" to the pilot assembly or defective pilot solenoid not opening when power is supplied "if you are getting spark but no pilot flame". Gas valve might be a Honeywell VR8304, but can't be sure as the gas valve label is covered with the "Propane" sticker. A photo of the gas valve wiring connections would be helpful ( normally labeled " PV, PV/MV, MV " on the Honeywell gas valve.

Hi Everyone. I have a Raypak heater that is not igniting when calling for heat. I can hear the spark, but no flame afterward. My best guess is the pilot orifice is dirty, or there is air stuck in the propane line. The worst part is the display is wrecked so I can't see if there are any error codes displayed. I'm reaching out for help because I am not very familiar with Raypak heaters. Where should I start, and what things should I be checking? Looking forward to hearing from everyone. TIA
A quick test is to first be sure there is no manual gas valve before the heater that is closed. I see that at least twice a year. Second is to listen to and feel the gas valve when there is a call for heat. You should hear and feel the pilot valve on the main valve open. If you don't, then, if you have a meter, check for voltage between the MV/PV and PV terminals on the main valve. You should see +/-24VDC. If you don't the board is bad. If you do, and there is gas at the heater, the main valve is bad.
shopping

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.