Raypak 156A Explosions upon lighting

I don’t think the length really matters all that much. It’s probably just a whole lot easier on Raypak’s part to stock one pilot tube for their products than make individualized ones.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Hey guys, so it’s all taken apart and on closer inspection the pilot appears to be obstructed by rust.

I am ordering a new pilot and tube.

One question, is that the replacement pilot tube is 34” long, where my original is only about 12”. Does anyone see any issues with this?
Thanks again!
Just don't kink the tubing. Leave the coil and straighten just what you need.

Just don't kink the tubing. Leave the coil and straighten just what you need.
I’ve now taken apart the old pilot tube from the pilot. It had a bit of corrosion but I’ve cleaned it up and the tube and connections are completely unobstructed so I will try using this one first. The new 34” tube is on its way but I’ll install without that to start.

Just spent a long time cleaning up the burner tray as well - scrubbing with wire brushes and blowing with compressed air. There is a fair amount of rust and it’s now all completely cleaned out. No restrictions from the gas line coming from the igniter through to the top of the burners. Will keep you posted as I go. Thanks again.

I’ve now taken apart the old pilot tube from the pilot. It had a bit of corrosion but I’ve cleaned it up and the tube and connections are completely unobstructed so I will try using this one first. The new 34” tube is on its way but I’ll install without that to start.

Just spent a long time cleaning up the burner tray as well - scrubbing with wire brushes and blowing with compressed air. There is a fair amount of rust and it’s now all completely cleaned out. No restrictions from the gas line coming from the igniter through to the top of the burners. Will keep you posted as I go. Thanks again.

Honestly, I replace the gas burner tubes on my outdoor grille pretty much every 2 years. The gas control knobs (valves) get replaced every 3 or 4 years as the heat causes a lot of wear and tear. Obviously a gas grille is different than a pool heater but given how much more heat is used in that application, I’ve got to image the burner tubes need annual maintenance at the very least. The natural convection heater is definitely a simpler design but it seems like it needs more TLC than a forced-air system. Then again, one dead combustion blower motor on a forced-air heater will set you back nearly $700 in parts alone … so pick your poison I suppose …

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.